Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Reducing the buffalo in Yellowstone >

Reducing the buffalo in Yellowstone

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Reducing the buffalo in Yellowstone

Old 01-06-2016, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Reducing the buffalo in Yellowstone

I just read in this mornings paper that the Dept of Interior is planning on reducing the American Bison herd in yellow stone by 600 to 900 animals. They are deciding if they want to do it by hunting or by roundup and then taking the animals to slaughter. The reason for herd reduction is to prevent the buffalo from migrating out of the park. I remember several years back reading about ranchers complaining about the buffalo coming out of the park and grazing with their cattle and giving the cattle diseases, I suppose that is the reason behind it. It would probably be a good idea to contact your congressmen and senators and tell them the reduction should be a cull hunt by sportsmen. It would be a pretty great opportunity to hunt buffalo in Yellowstone.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-06-2016 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:14 AM
Spike

Good Luck with that! I dont think it would go over to well with the tree huggers. They would rather let the wolves chew them up and if they cant deplete the population the way they did with the elk, there will be a roundup and sale to slaughterhouse.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It will more than likely come down to which one the Parks and Wildlife will be able to make the most money from. Sale of tags or sale of the meat. At today's prices for Bison, it will more than likely come down to slaughter.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:49 AM
Banned

so raise the cost of the tag . or even better raffle em off. there are lots of fool hunters that would pay much ,much more to hunt em then they could ever get to slaughter em.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wouldn't be the first time they've thinned that herd by issuing licenses.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

I would love that opportunity. Yellowstone is an amazing place.
-Jake
Old 01-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yellowstone is an amazing place, but I wouldn't call shooting a Yellowstone Bison "hunting", gathering groceries, sure, but not hunting.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
Yellowstone is an amazing place, but I wouldn't call shooting a Yellowstone Bison "hunting", gathering groceries, sure, but not hunting.
I've taken a few in various places. It's pretty much just gathering groceries anywhere to be honest. Find the herd, pick out the animal you want, shoot, chase away the others, then the hard part begins. I actually kinda felt a little bad for the stupid critters. No smarter than cows and if you have ever worked with cattle, you will know there isn't a much dumber animal on the planet.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I've taken a few in various places. It's pretty much just gathering groceries anywhere to be honest. Find the herd, pick out the animal you want, shoot, chase away the others, then the hard part begins. I actually kinda felt a little bad for the stupid critters. No smarter than cows and if you have ever worked with cattle, you will know there isn't a much dumber animal on the planet.

with the exception of humans.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I just read in this mornings paper that the Dept of Interior is planning on reducing the American Bison herd in yellow stone by 600 to 900 animals. They are deciding if they want to do it by hunting or by roundup and then taking the animals to slaughter. The reason for herd reduction is to prevent the buffalo from migrating out of the park. I remember several years back reading about ranchers complaining about the buffalo coming out of the park and grazing with their cattle and giving the cattle diseases, I suppose that is the reason behind it. It would probably be a good idea to contact your congressmen and senators and tell them the reduction should be a cull hunt by sportsmen. It would be a pretty great opportunity to hunt buffalo in Yellowstone.
yeah sign me up for one of those tags !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.