Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Reducing the buffalo in Yellowstone >

Reducing the buffalo in Yellowstone

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Reducing the buffalo in Yellowstone

Old 01-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
If the white man had never showed up. The bison herds would still be strong now.
Not just the bison. There would still be wolves and grizzlies on the prairies, bison/elk/cougar in New England, streams full of cutthroat trout in the Rockies and major salmon runs on both coasts. But those days are past.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's true, but I think the bison suffered the most.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not so sure Flags, the Indian population would have increased substantially by this time and the need for more resources would have been an influence. All we can do now is speculate what could have been, but we don't know it for sure.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Not so sure Flags, the Indian population would have increased substantially by this time and the need for more resources would have been an influence.

Not necessarily. We're talking about if the white man had never come to America. That means there wouldn't be advanced medical care, big agriculture, highways, cars, roads, planes, horses etc... I don't think the native population would have gotten that large. Like all mammals nature would have thinned them down every once in awhile. After all in thousands of years they didn't overpopulate their range and we're talking less than 600 years in this scenario.

All we can do now is speculate what could have been, but we don't know it for sure.

True. Just speculation
I for one would have loved to see the plains covered with bison while wolves and grizzlies prowled along the edges of the great herds. What a sight that must have been.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It's more complicated than they didn't take all the animals that went over the cliffs. They had strong beliefs, and they had their reasons. It was also a crude way for conservation. If the white man had never showed up. The bison herds would still be strong now.

Here's a good article on it if you want to take the time to read it all.

http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/...ys/buffalo.htm
sure that is easy to say. they would also still probably be wearing breachcloths and living in teepees.
not saying that is wrong or worst then what they now do. just pointing out that to say, they buffalo would still be enjoying the pops they did then iS the same as saying the indians would have never advanced as a civilization. WHY WOULD YOU BELIEVE SUCH A THING?
do you think they have no ambition?

are you an indian hater?
just kidding around of coarse. also thought I WOULD GET THE RACE CARD THING OUT OF THE WAY BEFORE IT STARTED TO GET FLUNG AROUND.

SURE THAT IS A GOOD ARTICLE. DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT NATIVES WERE WASTEFUL ALSO.

Last edited by kidoggy; 01-07-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Not so sure Flags, the Indian population would have increased substantially by this time and the need for more resources would have been an influence. All we can do now is speculate what could have been, but we don't know it for sure.
exactly right. great post.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flags
I for one would have loved to see the plains covered with bison while wolves and grizzlies prowled along the edges of the great herds. What a sight that must have been.
agreed, it would have been awesome
Old 01-07-2016, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kidoggy
sure that is easy to say. they would also still probably be wearing breachcloths and living in teepees.
not saying that is wrong or worst then what they now do. just pointing out that to say, they buffalo would still be enjoying the pops they did then iS the same as saying the indians would have never advanced as a civilization. WHY WOULD YOU BELIEVE SUCH A THING?
do you think they have no ambition?

are you an indian hater?
just kidding around of coarse. also thought I WOULD GET THE RACE CARD THING OUT OF THE WAY BEFORE IT STARTED TO GET FLUNG AROUND.

SURE THAT IS A GOOD ARTICLE. DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT NATIVES WERE WASTEFUL ALSO.
My best friend is an Indian. Not sure why you brought that up? If i'm biased at all it's against certain white men.

btw My friend lives in a teepee when the weather isn't too harsh. True.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Flags I would have loved to see those herds move all day and night as well, no argument, just discussion. Many things could have happened such as a disease tearing through such a big population of animals and greatly reduced the population, as the prey goes, so goes the predators. we can speculate and romanticize about what could have been, but we will never know.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the Indians themselves would have keep the population down. They were always at war with each other.

They started to band together to fight the white man. Otherwise, I doubt anything would have changed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.