Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Reducing the buffalo in Yellowstone >

Reducing the buffalo in Yellowstone

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Reducing the buffalo in Yellowstone

Old 01-07-2016, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bison have gotten screwed since the white man hit North America.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

They weren't treated much better by the plains Indians who would run
herds off of cliffs to kill them.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
They weren't treated much better by the plains Indians who would run
herds off of cliffs to kill them.
lol.how could that be true,everyone knows the NOBLE indians left nothing for waste, that is a white man trait.
at least that is what the PC police would have us believe.

truth is they kept what they could carry and the rest went to the varmints
Old 01-07-2016, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of my best friends is a full blooded Cheyenne. I think he's one of the most honest persons I know. We talk a lot about the old days. Indians pass on everything through the generations. What you read, and what the truth is may not be even close. They let nothing go to waste.

Had I lived back in those days, and I wish I had. I know who's side I would have been on. I would have hunted the buffalo hunters.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Muley Hunter;4238112]One of my best friends is a full blooded Cheyenne. I think he's one of the most honest persons I know. We talk a lot about the old days. Indians pass on everything through the generations. What you read, and what the truth is may not be even close. They let nothing go to waste..........

Native Americans are remarkable people. Most people that have heard the term "indian giver" have no clue what it really means. I go to and enjoy many pow wows each year and their creative ability is something to see.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
One of my best friends is a full blooded Cheyenne. I think he's one of the most honest persons I know. We talk a lot about the old days. Indians pass on everything through the generations. What you read, and what the truth is may not be even close. They let nothing go to waste.

Had I lived back in those days, and I wish I had. I know who's side I would have been on. I would have hunted the buffalo hunters.

that is bs. but it's ok. go right on believing it. I have no doubt your friend believes it to.

they may have used every part of the animal. I would agree with that. just not every animal , they killed.
you can argue that, but we both know it is true.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
They let nothing go to waste
Not true. There is a buffalo jump by Joes, CO and when they scientists took a look at it they found that many of the carcasses had no butchering marks on the bones and many of the skeletons had not been disarticulated. Similar things have been found at other buffalo jumps in the plains areas.

Half of my family line is Arapaho and I'm as pro-Native American as anyone I know but I'm never going to claim they were perfect in all they did. The natives weren't as bad as the whites but to say they wasted nothing is simply not correct. When they had a couple hundred dead bison in one place and no refrigeration/freezers available they couldn't process all the carcasses before they began to spoil.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flags
Not true. There is a buffalo jump by Joes, CO and when they scientists took a look at it they found that many of the carcasses had no butchering marks on the bones and many of the skeletons had not been disarticulated. Similar things have been found at other buffalo jumps in the plains areas.

Half of my family line is Arapaho and I'm as pro-Native American as anyone I know but I'm never going to claim they were perfect in all they did. The natives weren't as bad as the whites but to say they wasted nothing is simply not correct. When they had a couple hundred dead bison in one place and no refrigeration/freezers available they couldn't process all the carcasses before they began to spoil.
and that is all I am saying.the white man was wasteful. no argument here. I just tire of folks trying to claim the natives were not.
who was worst? that's like telling GOD," his sin was worst then mine."
Old 01-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree, the native Americans got the short end of the stick during the expansion of this country and the term Indian giver should have been white man giver because it was the whites who broke their word and took back what they agreed was for the Indians . I appreciate the skills they developed in supplying food and protection for their tribes. However, that doesn't mean I believe the myths about not wasting anything or that they were the first conservationists. They did what they did to survive and there is no shame in that, but not all the stories you hear about them are true, just like any other race of people.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's more complicated than they didn't take all the animals that went over the cliffs. They had strong beliefs, and they had their reasons. It was also a crude way for conservation. If the white man had never showed up. The bison herds would still be strong now.

Here's a good article on it if you want to take the time to read it all.

http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/...ys/buffalo.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.