Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Muley; Eastern MT vs CO(2nd choice tag) in 2016 >

Muley; Eastern MT vs CO(2nd choice tag) in 2016

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Muley; Eastern MT vs CO(2nd choice tag) in 2016

Old 12-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Muley; Eastern MT vs CO(2nd choice tag) in 2016

Strongly considering an eastern MT/Southeastern MT mule deer hunt 2016 fall/winter,

possibly considering a 2nd choice CO mule deer tag.

If anyone has any strong advice/opinions please let me know, feel free to PM me with any details.

This would be DIY public land unless block management in MT, or able to pay a reasonable trespass fee in CO/MT.

father/son hunt, probably rifle, son may bowhunt, thinking MT rut in NOV could be fun.

bigger the better, but a decent 4x4 would be awesome.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't comment on MT but Colorado has some really nice bucks. Hope you have preference points for CO.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you have any Colorado points? Deer tags here are not easy to get.

I can only get one every 2-3 years.

I don't know about trespass fees though.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where in CO? From your headline it is easy to see that you're interested in eastern MT. Is that the same for CO? The problem with CO is that you need to apply for tags in Apr and nearly every decent piece of property in the eastern part of the state is locked up pretty tight. Since tags there are unit specific you need to have a place to hunt lined up before you apply or you may very well end up with a tag and no place to hunt.

Outfitters have leased the vast majority of the good places to hunt. Ranches I used to hunt by knocking on the doors are now leased and I can't set foot on them. I can still get on 4 or 5 ranches in eastern CO simply because my family has known the ranching families for over 100 years but if you're coming in from out of state you wouldn't be able to get past the first cattle guard.

Sadly the days of getting on god mule deer land in eastern CO for a simple trespass fee is pretty much a thing of the past. However if you want to look to the western part of the state you could probably find something but the whole tag application thing still holds fast.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
Where in CO? From your headline it is easy to see that you're interested in eastern MT. Is that the same for CO? The problem with CO is that you need to apply for tags in Apr and nearly every decent piece of property in the eastern part of the state is locked up pretty tight. Since tags there are unit specific you need to have a place to hunt lined up before you apply or you may very well end up with a tag and no place to hunt.

Outfitters have leased the vast majority of the good places to hunt. Ranches I used to hunt by knocking on the doors are now leased and I can't set foot on them. I can still get on 4 or 5 ranches in eastern CO simply because my family has known the ranching families for over 100 years but if you're coming in from out of state you wouldn't be able to get past the first cattle guard.

Sadly the days of getting on god mule deer land in eastern CO for a simple trespass fee is pretty much a thing of the past. However if you want to look to the western part of the state you could probably find something but the whole tag application thing still holds fast.
I'd be open to anywhere in CO, I'm not sure it's even possible anymore to draw a 2nd choice tag and therefore not burn your 1st choice points? I know it use to be possible, perhaps nowadays less of an option/not at all?

as for MT I was most interested in SE Montana, but would consider the NE or anywhere in the eastern half of the state really.

thanks.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

SE Montana is pretty much locked up by outfitters... Any public land, especially block mgt., will be crawling with hunters. I'd suggest taking a look at NE Montana up along the Saskatchewan border (North of Scobey)... Tons of public ground there and it doesn't get the publicity SE Montana does (seems like every tv show about Muley's in Montana is in SE Montana). Saskatchewan Muley hunting is for residents only and they have to apply for a special permit, which means they grow some monster bucks and every year a few wander down during the rut. Think the last 10 days of the season....prior to that, it's pretty iffy.. It's big country and deer numbers are not as high as SE Montana, but there are some dandies taken there every year...You just don't hear much about them.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure about SE MT but I've hunted SW MT twice in the last 3 years & there are A LOT of wolves. Mulie #s good, whitetail #s a little low, & Elk #s down also but we've still seen a good amt. of game & killed some bucks & bulls. The ranch we hunted bordered Yellowstone (Wyoming). We're hunting North Central MT this Nov. for mulies, 'yotes, & upland birds Good luck, you'll love it out there!