Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

DIY pronghorn hunts

Old 11-24-2015, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Hunting in one of the one PP units sometimes gets you a good view of guys wearing orange hats seemingly driving on every two track. One group of fellows gave me the unsolicited advice "bring lots of gas and lots of ammo". I had watched that group and a few others all morning driving around, plinking at long range, and generally messing up the area. The animals were spooked badly and many of them left the BLM land and headed to the private ranchland.
Sometimes you will luck out and not see much pressure on the BLM land. For a first time group I would think that paying for access to less pressured hunting ground would be worth it, others will surely disagree.
i was kind of thinking the same thing. i may have to pay some more money but it may be easier over all due to not being educated with the area
Old 11-24-2015, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Public land DIY buck from CO in 2014. Taken opening day. I didn't see another hunter the whole time I was there which was 5 days because I got there a few days early to scout and did some rabbit and grouse hunting after this buck was on ice.

My brother with a public land DIY pronghorn buck from 2015:

You do not have to pay $2500+ to get good pronghorn in any western state.

Last edited by flags; 11-24-2015 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 11-24-2015, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
Public land DIT buck from CO in 2014. Taken opening day. I didn't see another hunter the whole time I was there which was 5 days because I got there a few days early to scout and did some rabbit and grouse hunting after this buck was on ice.

My brother with a public land DIY pronghorn buck from 2015:

You do not have to pay $2500+ to get good pronghorn in any western state.
very nice
and i certainly wont be paying that kind of money for a hunt. im just confused where to go.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:42 AM
Fork Horn

Look over the 2015 drawing odds (https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/cont...ONRES_2015.pdf ) and find some units that have reasonable success with one PP. Then start matching those possible units with public lands (BLM, etc) that have access. Watch out for areas that have a lot of "checkerboarding" of BLM land as legal access can be difficult. Trespass is taken seriously so make sure about your location when you hunt.
You might be able to draw a unit like 26 and have a good hunt, but too easily drawn units like 31 are best avoided. Phone the local BLM office and stop in to visit when you are in the area. Sometimes you will find them to be a tremendous help in finding access.
a little embarrassing, but could you explain what im looking an that link? this chart does not make sense to me
Old 11-25-2015, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bikerman9967
a little embarrassing, but could you explain what im looking an that link? this chart does not make sense to me
Wyoming publishes the results of the annual draw to give you some idea what it will take to draw in the future. This chart shows what the 2015 hunting season draw odds were for normal preference points for a nonresident.

They also have a special draw that may give you better odds if you are willing to pay double the price for your license. Entering the special draw probably will increase your chances, but it possibly could hurt your chances. There is also a chart that shows the odds for that draw.

Wyoming averages the points of all members of a hunting party when they apply as a group so it is possible to have a partial point if someone in your group has more or less points than the rest of the party.

Using unit 7 (listed at 007) as an example the chart shows there was a total unit quota of 75 tags available for the normal nonresident draw. Two guys with 2 points applied and both got their tag (100% success) leaving 73 available;

12 guys with less than two points but more than one point applied and all got their tag (100%) leaving 61 available;

22 guys with one point applied and all got their tags (100%) leaving 39 tags available;

24 guys with less than one but more than zero points applied and all got their tags (100%) leaving 15 available;

and finally 219 guys with zero points applied and 15 got their tags (6.85% success).
Old 11-25-2015, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

Wyoming publishes the results of the annual draw to give you some idea what it will take to draw in the future. This chart shows what the 2015 hunting season draw odds were for normal preference points for a nonresident.

They also have a special draw that may give you better odds if you are willing to pay double the price for your license. Entering the special draw probably will increase your chances, but it possibly could hurt your chances. There is also a chart that shows the odds for that draw.

Wyoming averages the points of all members of a hunting party when they apply as a group so it is possible to have a partial point if someone in your group has more or less points than the rest of the party.

Using unit 7 (listed at 007) as an example the chart shows there was a total unit quota of 75 tags available for the normal nonresident draw. Two guys with 2 points applied and both got their tag (100% success) leaving 73 available;

12 guys with less than two points but more than one point applied and all got their tag (100%) leaving 61 available;

22 guys with one point applied and all got their tags (100%) leaving 39 tags available;

24 guys with less than one but more than zero points applied and all got their tags (100%) leaving 15 available;

and finally 219 guys with zero points applied and 15 got their tags (6.85% success).
thank you for that explanation. i understand how it works now. so look for the best draw options with 1 point on public land with good access and give that area a shot
Old 11-25-2015, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bikerman9967
thank you for that explanation. i understand how it works now. so look for the best draw options with 1 point on public land with good access and give that area a shot
You are on the right track.

One thing you should know about BLM land is that it can be a very sensitive issue with some Wyoming residents. Some have leased the same BLM land for so long that they think about it as their property and do not like outsiders on it. It belongs to all US citizens, but make darn sure that you know exactly where you are and do not step across any private land without permission - that includes "corner jumping" on the checkerboard sections. The BLM property is not marked and much of it is fenced so a good map or better yet a good GPS map will be required if you are DIY.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

could someone educate me on what im looking at on this map ?

this is unit 7

the blue is state land and open for hunting

i think the green is national forest land and open for hunting, but not sure if im reading the colors correctly.

what is the red?

thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails DIY pronghorn hunts-2015-12-01_14-04-07.jpg  
Old 12-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most maps have a legend that explains color codes
Old 12-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
Most maps have a legend that explains color codes
which i cant make out very well on these

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.