Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
shoot or wait for friends to arrive >

shoot or wait for friends to arrive

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

shoot or wait for friends to arrive

Old 11-21-2015, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default shoot or wait for friends to arrive

This happened to four people I know at a fly in.
The first person flew in with the gear. While the others were being picked up, the first person saw a moose and dropped it while waiting for the others to arrive. I think he shot from the dock. The other three were mad since the hunt was over before they landed, after paying $3000 each.

Do you think he should have waited so they can start the hunt together, or take a moose while the opportunity is there?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

12grand for a moose hunt? for 4 people and only allowed 1 moose? not making sense
RR
Old 11-21-2015, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

I agree. Something doesn't add up here. Still, there is great fishing up there!
Old 11-21-2015, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

This doesn't pass the sniff test. Who in their right mind would pay 3 grand to hunt with three other hunters who also paid 3 grand and the hunt is over when the first animal hits the ground? Were they going to be angry at the guy who killed a moose if they were at in camp when it was killed and they were now done hunting? How were they going to decide who got to kill a moose? If this is a true situation, and I have serious doubts there are 4 people that dumb in one place even in Canada, that guy paid the same amount as the others to hunt, he saw a moose and it was legal to shoot it, it may have been the only moose seen during the hunt, he was in the right place at the right time and he got lucky and killed it. Unless they had some kind of agreement about a shooting order I can't fault him.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-21-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:12 AM
Banned

yep . doesn't make sense to me. why wouldn't the others have a tag of their own? 12000 for one moose, IT IS BEYOND MY COMPREHENSION AS TO WHY ANYONE WOULD PAY THAT MUCH.
IF OTHERS DO HAVE TAG THE LUCKYGUY THAT SCORED GETS TO BECOME CAMP TENDER and cook some moose for the others dinner . so ,I don't see why they would be upset.

methinks we need more info.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe I got some of the facts wrong. The three grand may include travel north, food and drinks, as well as the outfitter cost. That was the number they were going on about.
Either way, out of curiosity, I am still undecided if I would take the shot if I was in that position.
I would probably wait if it were me.
They usually produce only every second year from that outfitter. Some years these four older guys pay to go a second time in the same year. These guys got the money so it is most likely really nice accommodations.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BIG TUNA
Maybe I got some of the facts wrong. The three grand may include travel north, food and drinks, as well as the outfitter cost. That was the number they were going on about.
Either way, out of curiosity, I am still undecided if I would take the shot if I was in that position.
I would probably wait if it were me.
They usually produce only every second year from that outfitter. Some years these four older guys pay to go a second time in the same year. These guys got the money so it is most likely really nice accommodations.
if they've got the money I don't understand why they would only have one tag. I WOULD NEVER place myself in such a silly situation in the first place. sound to me ,like someone is gonna get mad regardless of when animal is killed . unless they plan on sneakin up and all four firing a volley at once.

I'M being silly ,of coarse. like I said .we need more info. whole situation doesn't make sense.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

I never used an outfitter myself, but learning that you usually get more than one adult tag, the others are probably just jealous that they got skunked.
If they have more than one adult tag, then I would shoot for a good start.

I do have other friends that moose hunt with an outfitter. They get one bull and one cow tag from the outfitter. So getting only one bull tag didn't sound unusual.

When I see one of them again, I will ask the question on how many tags are included (other than the automatic calf). That would be the decider if I would shoot.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If Ipaid 3 grand to hunt a moose the deciding factors would be if I seen a moose, had my gun and it was legal,
RR
Old 11-21-2015, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hoisting the BS flag on this scenario.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.