Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bighorn Sheep?

Old 12-21-2017, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bighorn Sheep?

Who has hunted them? Let’s see some pictures and here where you got them.

I would love to get one, but it will never happen. Draw tags are rare and outfitted hunts are way out of my budget. Cool animal though.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted both sheep and goat in my native CO. Sheep in 1986 and goat in 2001.

Fun animals to hunt but I have no desire to shoot another of either. They are specialized game and one is enough. I'd rather let someone else get one than shoot another for myself. For what it is worth I also got a stone sheep in the extreme northern part of British Columbia but they are way out of my price range now.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

That’s cool Flags. Congrats on some nice animals! No mount of the Stone?
Old 12-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
That’s cool Flags. Congrats on some nice animals! No mount of the Stone?

Not the best mount. Back then I was early in my navy career and didn't have much $$$ for taxidermy. Went with a guy who was cheap. Learned an important lesson. The neck is too skinny and a little too long. I think he used a form that wasn't a sheep form.

I could probably get it re-mounted but most likely never will. Had a good set of horns and good color on the cape and the cape may not be wide enough now for a proper form and I don't want to put a cape from a sheep I didn't take on it. The whitetail is a PA deer I got on a hunt with a really good friend of mine. In that area of PA the deer don't get real big due to pressure and that buck taped 18 inches on the spread. He'd been fighting and broke a couple of points so I had him done as is to honor his fighting spirit.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice trophies flags. I like the rational for the PA mount. When it all comes down to it the memories are all that count.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Always like seeing peoples mounts. I don't have anything mounted myself. Don't know if I ever will. But I like seeing peoples game rooms.
-Jake
Old 12-23-2017, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

I was lucky enough have lived in Montana back when we could buy an Unlimited area bighorn ram tag every year for $25. The seasons opened the first of September and if the quota wasn't filled, it lasted through November. Back then I didn't realize how good that deal was and I would usually just go for a long first weekend hunt.

It took me several years to figure out where the rams were, but I finally ended up filling three ram tags. The late 70s and 80s were good to me as I was also able to fill a couple of Montana Shiras bull moose tags and a mountain goat tag. And I got all of those animals within 100 miles of my home.

About 20 years ago, an outfitter friend called me about a cancellation Dall ram hunt in the Mackenzie Mountains in the Northwest Territories. It was a fly-in backpack hunt, and I ended up getting a great ram, a good Mountain caribou, and a Wolverine.

Mountain sheep hunting is some of the best hunting in the world!

I can't post pictures from this computer, but I will after the holidays.

Merry Christmas to all!

Last edited by buffybr; 12-23-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buffybr that is incredible that you could get tags like that. Awesome that you were able to take advantage of that. Look forward to seeing your pics.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Finally! Here's some pics of my sheep...

My three Bighorn rams from Montana's Unlimited tag units, and my Dall from the Mackenzie Mountains in Canada's Northwest Territories.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

And my Mountain Goat from Southwestern Montana. The Mule deer is from Northwestern Colorado, and I shot the Wolverine while packing my Dall ram out.

Last edited by buffybr; 01-16-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.