Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Colorado Elk hunting questions >

Colorado Elk hunting questions

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Elk hunting questions

Old 10-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

OP, did you see this thread?
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-...g-workout.html .
Old 10-01-2015, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely consider 1st season. Either sex tag and still some decent rutting activity. Diamox is your friend when it comes to altitude sickness. It is inexpensive and you only take it for a few days. A good insurance policy! Always have a cow call with you. They are very vocal even outside of the rut. Curiosity killed the cat :-).
Old 10-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
I did not see that. Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Definitely consider 1st season. Either sex tag and still some decent rutting activity. Diamox is your friend when it comes to altitude sickness. It is inexpensive and you only take it for a few days. A good insurance policy! Always have a cow call with you. They are very vocal even outside of the rut. Curiosity killed the cat :-).
Unfortunately I could not make the 1st season. Work won't let us have off at the beginning of October plus going together will be cheaper financially. Both my friend and I are trying to make it the same dates which will either be the 2nd season or the 3rd season. I
Old 10-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see. All but one season I usually hunt 2nd rifle. Champlain Islander and I have done very well in that season. Don't forget, you can have a Otc bull tag AND a cow tag if you draw the cow tag.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Son and myself will go up Oct 30 for 3d season. 3 more in group will be up that night. We are east of Kremmling by a few miles. migrations are not impossible that early....depends on snow and temps. Good luck.
Dan
Old 10-02-2015, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Third season is my second favorite season in Colorado. There is a greater possibility of snow and you avoid some of the hunters that pick second season. Second season always seemed a bit more crowded to me.

There are as many different strategies for hunting elk as there are different types of terrain and different types of weather. I like the more open areas at higher elevations but have put in my time in the aspens and oak brush as well. I would normally hunt two different states on most years and have taken something more than three dozen elk, but no two hunts were the same.