Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

GMU 511 Colorado Report

Old 08-31-2015, 07:58 AM
Spike

Default GMU 511 Colorado Report

Day before (Friday) Season started.

3 Cows, 1 Calf spotted on CR 362. Moving west toward Private Land-

Sat - before noon - 100+ Bow hunters / atvs/motorcycle / utvs - NO ELK SPOTTED all left the area.

Sat - dusk - Several ATVs / Motorcycles and a F**)&%$ Suburban drove through - One bowhunter actually walked the mile in where I was and stood beside me less than 30 feet... I said hey and he jumped... yeah... maybe he needs to be more aware of his surroundings. Then again, I am silent

Sun - a.m. nothing - Dusk nothing hit several areas all around 363 / 362 / 365 / 364... long walks > mile ... nothing. looks like the elk have moved on to private land. Way to go weekend enthusiast and weekend bowhunters... its a life you gotta live it daily.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Not saying the location in 511. Saturday my friend saw 1 bear in the evening. Sunday 5 deer in the morning 1 bear in the afternoon. This morning he saw 1 bull couldn't get a shot. I am still waiting to see what he saw this evening. Only 2 weeks until muzzloader. We been seeing enough bear and elk that it should be a good season
Old 09-03-2015, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

I was up there this morning only saw 2 cows. Talked to my friend pulled back on a bear yesterday afternoon just wouldn't give him the shot and this morning had a spike and a 5x5. Pulled back but just couldn't get a clear shot. I am heading up tomorrow morning again. Should be a mad house up there this weekend so I will avoid it.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Spike

I left that area....on the day before labor day. It was insane. I am moving on, I hear 471 has big herds and 10000 ft...
Old 09-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by silentecho
I left that area....on the day before labor day. It was insane. I am moving on, I hear 471 has big herds and 10000 ft...
I was up there last Friday til noon only person I saw was my friend. I am heading up tom to check my cams and decide where I am Goin to hunt next week
Old 09-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Spike

I have two cams up there still I need to run by and pick them up, I'll let you know if I see anything on them and where if you like... I am tracking a herd of 70 right now in GMU 581... got permission from a private land owner to hunt them.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Spike

Hey all, just found this post googling the area. I live in Woodland Park and plan on bow hunting public land on 581 for the next week. I will let you know how it goes.

Also have a buddy that hunted black mountain in 58 during labor day weekend...said it was rampant with 4 wheelers.

Last edited by AFhunter; 09-11-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Rampart hooked my friend up again tonight. Killed a bear. Was up there this morning saw 2 bear and to cows. Let's see how tomorrow is with the smoke pole.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Spike

c-rad, Congrats to your buddy. Any pics? Good luck getting your bear. I'm heading up this Sunday to try and get a bear in 51. This will be my 3rd year trying. Still haven't figured out the bear game. I really need to get some scouting in next year, and set up cameras like you do.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Bears are not to bad to find scout the ridge tops and look for scat. Saw a legal bull and cow on Saturday. Decided not to take a shot. All I could get on both was a head shot at about 50 yrds. Saw a nice bear just never got close enough. Sunday only hunted 1/2 day. Saw 1 3x3. Got out for 1/2 day today. Didn't see or hear anything. Well be heading back up tomorrow should get to hunt full days the rest of the week.