Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Bear Hunting Tips Needed

Old 08-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its hard to tell you how to hunt without actually being in the area and seeing what it looks like. If you have a lot of open area you can try glassing from a good vantage point then attempt a stalk. If that is not an option then still hunting is your best bet. Or calling as Oldtimer and another suggested. Go with a distress call of an animal in your area (fawn bleat, jack rabbit, coyote pup, etc.). As for scents, if baiting is illegal you might as well forget them. About the only scent you could possibly use would be a sow in estrus scent. But in the fall that wouldn't be an option.
I've taken 3 bear here in PA by stand hunting. And the 3 of them were all shot in the same location. But the reason is that this particular area is a bench/shelf near the top of the mountain and is an escape route for both deer and bear when pushed as it is the easiest route from one mountain to another without going all the way to the bottom of the hollow and back up the other side.
If you did your scouting, bears do regularly follow certain trails and you just may be able to intercept on on his way from point A to point B.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would not say all scents do not work.. In fact far from it.. Bears are territorial and will fight off rivals.. With the right scents you can get a bear to wander into you and a tree stand would be best suited for a situation like that.. Getting you and your scent off the ground will help plus it would allow you to see better down threw the thick growth bears like to travel threw.. So if there is bears in the area you are hunting you may want to try setting in a tree stand and scenting for them. Make sure your scent is covered up though as bears can smell real well.. One of the scent used up here is this one.. But, you can shop around the net and find which one you would rather get..

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/memb...bear-scent.jpg

I hope it helps you and good luck..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 08-09-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Phil - That scent simulates a food source and may be construed as baiting which is illegal where he is hunting. I've thought about using it here in PA where baiting is also illegal but decided I better not. I know in ME you can bait as I've hunted there a couple times but never got a crack at a big boy. Passed several smaller ones but....
Old 08-10-2015, 01:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

bronko, yes we can bait here and had fought back HSUS once again.. I know he would have to check the laws in his state to see if that is considered baiting or not.. He may also find bear scent that is of a boar at a trapping supply store that may not be considered baiting.. But, yes well know bear trails around food sources and a tree stand to get you above them can have good results..
Old 08-10-2015, 04:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bronko, using a scent or lure of any kind, food smells or any other smell is illegal to use for bear in PA, The scents that smell like food rule applies to deer, bear is more restrictive.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Bronko, using a scent or lure of any kind, food smells or any other smell is illegal to use for bear in PA, The scents that smell like food rule applies to deer, bear is more restrictive.
Hmmm, I wonder if my hunting jacket that I hung over the camp stove in the morning while I was frying bacon would be considered illegal?? LOL
Old 08-10-2015, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

You will have to hope the CO has a head cold.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with not getting in a tree stand, at least not on the first day.

I would also recommend to still hunt your way up high to a good vantage point where you can glass the area.

Who knows you may just get lucky while you still hunt you way up the mountain..........

By glassing the area hopefully you will get a few sighting; which will allow you to put together a good plan for the rest of your hunt.

Enjoy your time in the mountains and good luck !!!
Old 08-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fall in CO can be dry. Bears need a lot of water. Stake out waterholes or the trails leading from thick brush to waterholes.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

The hidden road (only used by wild life) leads right to a shallow pond right off a creek this road always has bear sign in the spring. If it still has good sign before the hunt you think this would be a better set up point than above the road? I saw a nice cinnamon cross the huge open field and head to the middle of this road 40 min. before dark not near the pond. You have creek, pond, mountain, then a few house's and another creek.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.