Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Time to buy points

Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Time to buy points

Just a reminder: It is time to buy your Wyoming points. A few points can make a big difference if you are planning a hunt in the coming years.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/home.aspx

Last edited by Big Uncle; 07-27-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just got another pronghorn point. That brings me up to 5. Probably try and cash them in on a buck tag for over by Farson next season. Lots of big speedgoats out that way.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

I got mine maybe next year I'll get out that way
Old 08-05-2015, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

just got one for pronghorn .
Old 08-11-2015, 05:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I have been hunting Colorado for around the past 10 years and have bought points. The way that state is dealing with the point creep leaves me kind of disappointed. They really need to allow banking to stop it. People with 17 points are getting fed up with not ever getting to the chosen trophy gmu and are settling for medium success areas and burning those points thus continually raising the points needed. It seems that every year you buy 1 point and see the bar raised by one therefore you don't get there. I have watched lots of GMU's go up one or more points every year especially the past 5 years.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I have been hunting Colorado for around the past 10 years and have bought points. The way that state is dealing with the point creep leaves me kind of disappointed. They really need to allow banking to stop it. People with 17 points are getting fed up with not ever getting to the chosen trophy gmu and are settling for medium success areas and burning those points thus continually raising the points needed. It seems that every year you buy 1 point and see the bar raised by one therefore you don't get there. I have watched lots of GMU's go up one or more points every year especially the past 5 years.
the guides really suffer with this system because its very difficult to predict what a future hunter will need as far as points.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bikerman9967
the guides really suffer with this system because its very difficult to predict what a future hunter will need as far as points.
A great point. This year I had 3 elk points and a hunting partner had 10. We wanted to draw in a medium Colorado GMU that took 1 NR point for a cow and 9 for a bull during the muzzle loading season last year. We figured it would be a good hunt and after the drawing I got a tag and my partner did not. The end result is I had to cash in my tag and we are now going OTC bull tag 2nd rifle. They give you a choice to keep the points or get the refund. I was upset and decided I wasn't going to give them their hostage money and other than the deer points I have won't be buying anymore points.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I just bought 1 point each for bear and elk for Colorado, very disappointing to read how we just may be wasting time and money on this system trying to get into good areas.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bikerman9967
I can't drum up much sympathy for the guides. As a CO resident I've never needed a guide. They depend on non-residents to stay in business and many guides would love to see tags taken from residents that don't use their services and have those tags issued to non-residents. One of the biggest issues facing hunting today is the commercialization of it.

Point creep is something I don't think they ever dreamed of. I'm sitting on 21 elk points and I still haven't been able to draw my unit 2 either sex (bull tag). I'll get it eventually. I'm also sitting on lots of points for everything except pronghorn since I drew a buck tag last year. But, how do you fix the point creep? You can't penalize guys like me that have played the game according to the rules they put in place!
Old 08-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by RockyMtnGobblers
I just bought 1 point each for bear and elk for Colorado, very disappointing to read how we just may be wasting time and money on this system trying to get into good areas.
Yup it has spun out of control. What they need to do is if a person has 10 points and puts in for an area that takes 5 he should be left with 5 not go back to zero. When enough people have more points than needed for a certain area and they draw it raises the bar. I believe they used to have banking which means you don't lose all your points only the amount needed to draw. I have 4 points for deer and it took 5 this year to draw. The way I feel now I won't bother to buy anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.