Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Time to buy points

Old 08-26-2015, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I find it odd that anyone claiming to be a meat hunter would have a lot of points built up.
Thought you had me on ignore Pete. BUSTED! Or do you think I wouldn't value the meat? You do know that hunting for primarily meat is an honorable thing right? But some of those "meats" like sheep, goat, moose take a lot of points. How long did you say you lived in CO?

If you think back to previous posts I clearly said I always put in for points when Uncle Sam sent me to the sand box to protect your rights. So I built up a lot of them over time. The only one I really want is a unit 2 bull tag which requires at least 20 points. I've got 21 right now so i can pull that tag when and if I want but lately mostly I've gone after females for meat but I did take a nice pronghorn buck last season. He as tasty too. But I still keep building points. maybe at some time I'll try for another sheep (great meat by the way) but maybe I won't. But I still keep my point count going up. I have to or one of those despised CA transplants will get the tag.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:59 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Not in several states but I do have that many for many of the species in CO. Since I'm a CO resident I don't need to apply elsewhere since I can get all the species I want there except caribou and Roosevelt elk and neither of those is a deal breaker for me.
If you only have points built up in CO then I'm sure you are unaware of how all the western states (and even Maine) have thrown nonresident point holders under the bus during the last 25 years. It's simply no longer worth holding out for the premium hunting units. Your points will get screwed somewhere along the way before you get there.

That includes your state of Colorado, where rules were "changed" costing me my unit 61 elk tag, among others. The points were devalued long after they were sold to me. The best strategy now is to get some value out of your points by burning them for mid-tier units. You are highly vulnerable to being screwed by unethical legislators if you wait any longer than 3-5. That is just a fact nowadays. Attorneys/legislators have no morals nor ethics.