Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Time to buy points

Old 08-12-2015, 03:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
I can't drum up much sympathy for the guides. As a CO resident I've never needed a guide. They depend on non-residents to stay in business and many guides would love to see tags taken from residents that don't use their services and have those tags issued to non-residents. One of the biggest issues facing hunting today is the commercialization of it.

Point creep is something I don't think they ever dreamed of. I'm sitting on 21 elk points and I still haven't been able to draw my unit 2 either sex (bull tag). I'll get it eventually. I'm also sitting on lots of points for everything except pronghorn since I drew a buck tag last year. But, how do you fix the point creep? You can't penalize guys like me that have played the game according to the rules they put in place!
as far as the first half of your statement, i understand you dont have much sympathy, but the guides are trying to make a living too. if the non residents cant draw tags due to the point system creep, they will choose other states where it will work. at that point the lost funds from the non residents will be pushed onto the residents
Old 08-12-2015, 04:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Point creep is something I don't think they ever dreamed of. I'm sitting on 21 elk points and I still haven't been able to draw my unit 2 either sex (bull tag). I'll get it eventually. I'm also sitting on lots of points for everything except pronghorn since I drew a buck tag last year. But, how do you fix the point creep? You can't penalize guys like me that have played the game according to the rules they put in place!
I have a good friend who lives in Alamosa and he has even more points built up than you do Flags. His dad was Colorado Commish of Fish and Wildlife years ago before he passed away. My friend is frustrated because he too wants to burn his points on a certain GMU and so far isn't able to draw. He would like the option if the need arose to burn a few points on another hunt in a lesser area. It is all or nothing and if he decided to draw a tag in say an area like 049 where I was headed for ML he would get the tag but it would be given at the 20 something level he was at. if both you and he decided to do the same that would be 2 out of the quota that went for 20+ points. Add in a few more long time point gatherers and it alters the GMU and you have more point creep. What they should do to end it is freeze the points needed to draw, allow banking where if you decided to go for that ML tag you would spend 10 and still have 11. Down the road after the dust settles they could allow the draw results to determine the level needed but it would gradually go down since they have banking and one by one the people with the 20 something points will use their points since they will get to draw since the threshold for draw was frozen. There are plenty of great units as you know and the points you have accumulated could be used for 3 or 4 great hunts rather than waiting for the chance of a lifetime and then be too old to do it properly.
Originally Posted by bikerman9967
as far as the first half of your statement, i understand you dont have much sympathy, but the guides are trying to make a living too. if the non residents cant draw tags due to the point system creep, they will choose other states where it will work. at that point the lost funds from the non residents will be pushed onto the residents
That is a great point. There has to be a lot of competition between the states for the NR hunting dollars. Colorado makes huge money on points purchases and get to keep it for a few months interest free. If the system is starting to drive people away they need to do what is necessary to have sportsmen choose their state.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 08-12-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is the period in which you may buy your WYOMING preference points. The point of this thread is to remind people that now is the time. It is easy to forget to buy your WYOMING points as it is done at a different time of year than when applying for licenses in WYOMING.

This expires at the end of September for WYOMING.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Sorry to hijack your thread Big Uncle. I was just unloading my displeasure for the way one state deals with it. You are right and i was wrong. Sorry...
Old 08-12-2015, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
It is the period in which you may buy your WYOMING preference points. The point of this thread is to remind people that now is the time. It is easy to forget to buy your WYOMING points as it is done at a different time of year than when applying for licenses in WYOMING.

This expires at the end of September for WYOMING.
with the little amount of traffic this forum sees, who cares where the threads really end up?
Old 08-14-2015, 09:30 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Just a reminder: It is time to buy your Wyoming points. A few points can make a big difference if you are planning a hunt in the coming years.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/home.aspx
For newbies let the buyer beware. Points are becoming nothing but a legalized bait-n-switch money making snake oil scheme for all states. They are more than eager to peddle them, but when it comes to honoring them it's a totally different story. The most recent case in point Arizona, which is totally screwing point holders whom they sold points to the last 20 years. Stealing thousands of dollars in value. My suggestion is to not let your points build past 3 or 4 ANYWHERE for ANYTHING, as a safeguard against the white collar criminals residing in statehouses.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Zim
My suggestion is to not let your points build past 3 or 4 ANYWHERE for ANYTHING, as a safeguard against the white collar criminals residing in statehouses.
If you do that you're not going to hunt much in the Rocky Mountain states especially if you want good quality tags. But that's OK. If a bunch of people follow this misguided advice then it will make tags easier to get for me.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

If you do that you're not going to hunt much in the Rocky Mountain states especially if you want good quality tags. But that's OK. If a bunch of people follow this misguided advice then it will make tags easier to get for me.
I HAVE drawn and hunted some of the best units out west, including NV unit 114 elk, AZ unit 1 elk, UT Book Cliffs elk, NM elk, CO deer, WY moose, etc., etc. But these hunts were all drawn prior to the new world philosophy of legislators screwing those deserving hunters who have applied the longest and paid the most. Times have definitely changed.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't have 18-20 points in several states like I do. If you did, you would have had the experience of having those points cheapened time and again by thieves waving unethical legislation. In the eyes of legislators, the more points you have, the bigger the target you have on your back.

This is a documented fact..............definitely not an opinion.

Last edited by Zim; 08-25-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Zim
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't have 18-20 points in several states like I do.
Not in several states but I do have that many for many of the species in CO. Since I'm a CO resident I don't need to apply elsewhere since I can get all the species I want there except caribou and Roosevelt elk and neither of those is a deal breaker for me.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I find it odd that anyone claiming to be a meat hunter would have a lot of points built up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.