Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bighorn sheep??

Old 07-22-2015, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

ctiller4 - Like anything else, if you don't apply or go, you won't get one.

That said, I did those unlimited sheep hunts 20-30 years ago when there were more units and less hunting pressure. I also live within 100 miles of those areas, and they were basically weekend hunts for me. I hunted them at least 10 years and only killed 3 of my own rams and finished one for another hunter that wounded and lost one.

The high country where those rams are in September is beautiful and fun to hunt, but kill success is low, and could be an expensive backpacking trip from WV.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ctiller4
youre right. cant get one on the couch. lol just want to optimize the time I have on a hunt with higher percentages of success. but youre spot on with the idea that the worst outcome of that hunt would be a great time in the mountains. it'd be a great learning experience also Im sure. Have you hunted rams?
Unfortunately no. I spent the summers of 2010, 2011 and 2013 working in Colorado at an outdoor adventure camp. I just love the mountains!
-Jake