Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
North american big game stats.. Or opinions >

North american big game stats.. Or opinions

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

North american big game stats.. Or opinions

Old 07-11-2015, 06:16 AM
Spike

Default North american big game stats.. Or opinions

Hello, new here.

Which north american game has the biggest population, and where are they located?

I'm assuming elk in colorado. But I cant find harvest statistics easily comparing all the game harvested nation wide.

Then again. I'm also interested in pound per pound of meat, not just kills.

Or another way to ask my question. IF hunting licenses and tags weren't needed. Where in north america would be the most productive, pound per pound of meat?

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2015, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no idea what you're asking on that pound per pound question! The biggest population of any big game animal is by far the whitetail and they are from the east coast all the way out west into Idaho, Colorado, etc. Even taking into consideration the size/weight of an elk the whitetails killed every year would far outnumber and be a lot more meat taken than the elk killed since there aren't that many states that have them if that's what you're getting at.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're asking a question that will never happen . Hunting and killing game is conservation, and the best way to control herds. Without hunters we'd be overrun with animals.

I agree that whitetails are the largest numbers of big game.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I have no idea what you're asking on that pound per pound question!
Pound per pound means, one 400# Elk kill = Forty 10# wild turkey kills. Or four 100# white tail kills.

My question is a hypothetical what if question.

What if, the north american dream ended abruptly? Something like a crippling cyber attack, nuclear attack.. Whatever.. Which cuts off money, food etc.. I really doubt there would be any conservation officers to concerned about tags and licenses.

Where in north america would be the most productive hunting, pound per pound of meat with a given time frame?

I guess this question is more suited for a prepper's forum. But here I am.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

The grocery store! BTW, there are larger game animals in the country than elk and I also believe conservation officers would be more vigilent than they are now if your scenerio came true, in fact, I know they would.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Michigan has the highest population of whitetails. 1.8 million.

You going to move there?
Old 07-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The grocery store! BTW, there are larger game animals in the country than elk and I also believe conservation officers would be more vigilent than they are now if your scenerio came true, in fact, I know they would.
You really think grocery stores and banks would be open after a SHTF martial law event?

And game wardens would be handing out tickets if they, and everyone else couldn't buy food? Starving..

I didn't want to start a conversation more suited for a preppers forum here. I asked about stats or opinions about surviving on game in north amarica after a SHTF event.

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

You going to move there?
Oh yeah.. Im packing as we speak!

Seriously, My 21 year old son would argue "its coming"
Me, I doubt it. But with ISIS, the NYSE shutting down etc etc.. It makes me wonder how long before, not so much if.

Last edited by rebar; 07-11-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rebar

Seriously, My 21 year old son would argue "its coming"
Me, I doubt it. But with ISIS, the NYSE shutting down etc etc.. It makes me wonder how long before, not if.
I can't answer your initial question, but since that cat's out of the bag, consider that others will be hunting that same game. At some point, each other to claim that resource. A lot to consider. Good luck however it goes.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

This has to be the goofiest thread outside the Politics Forum that I can remember in a long time and it looks like it was started by a paranoid newbie, LOL! I have no idea what you even mean by a preppers forum, but it was certainly a rather weird one to ask on any of these forums! Anyway, pound for pound I told you what you wanted to know and it would be the whitetail. You should know what they are since you live in Iowa and grow some monster bucks in both weight and rack categories. Texas actually has the most whitetail deer by far of any other state and MI isn't even close nowadays, although it's well up there in numbers.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

Sorry, but that's wrong. TX has over 3.5 million whitetails, not to mention mule deer which is also native to the western part of the state.

http://wildlife.tamu.edu/wildlifemanagement/deer/

Add in the number of exotics and hogs and it is a pretty safe bet that TX has more big game animals than any other state.
As to the question the OP asks, it is in my opinion a moot point. if the bottom drops out of everything then you're going to have to make it the best you can where you're at when it happens. I doubt there would be any mass exodus to any particular place just for the number if game animals. But, if it happened and I had to bug out I'd be headed to any one of the major river bottoms in the south. You could hunt big game, small game, waterfowl and fish plus you would have timber to build structures and most importantly, water. Why do you think the Indians lived along the rivers?

Last edited by flags; 07-11-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Typo correction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.