Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
North american big game stats.. Or opinions >

North american big game stats.. Or opinions

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

North american big game stats.. Or opinions

Old 07-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Texas. Pound for pound the most meat. But be advised the average Texas rancher is not of a charitable disposition.

http://www.cattlerange.com/cattle-gr...e-numbers.html

Flags,
Old 07-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
But, if it happened and I had to bug out I'd be headed to any one of the major river bottoms in the south. You could hunt big game, small game, waterfowl and fish plus you would have timber to build structures and most importantly, water.
+1

Now that I understand the "purpose" of the question..............

The south has the additional benefit of milder winters.

http://www.ruleof3survival.com/
Old 07-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Texas. Pound for pound the most meat. But be advised the average Texas rancher is not of a charitable disposition.

http://www.cattlerange.com/cattle-gr...e-numbers.html

Flags,

Texas would have more big game just like flags stated and your link is of no significance in this discussion because it's dealing with domestic cattle production, not wild animals, although come to think of it I have seen some pretty wild cattle down there on several ranches I hunted!
Old 07-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

The last place i'd go is Texas. I'll stay right where I am, but move up higher in the mountains. Hunting will too hard for the average person in the mountains. Keep in mind you won't have just hunters hunting, but everybody will be hunting.

The easier the hunting. The more people doing it. Just like it is right now.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Michigan has the highest population of whitetails. 1.8 million.

You going to move there?
Wrong, there are no deer in Michigan. Those few that were not killed by the mosquitoes several years ago died of chronic wasting disease.

Although one Michigan mosquito will provide lunch and supper for a family of four.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not to worry Muley, the city and non hunting folks aren't going to decend to the wilderness to survive, they would all flock to the same place and huddle together waiting for the government to help them while they starved and killed each other over scraps.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sachiko
Wrong, there are no deer in Michigan. Those few that were not killed by the mosquitoes several years ago died of chronic wasting disease.

Although one Michigan mosquito will provide lunch and supper for a family of four.
That's true, and we have no elk in Colorado.

I don't hunt for whitetail anymore, so I just looked up what state had the most. The first one said Michigan, and I posted it. If I would have just thought about it I would have said Texas, but aren't they small? I'm not a fan of Texas.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
That's true, and we have no elk in Colorado.

I don't hunt for whitetail anymore, so I just looked up what state had the most. The first one said Michigan, and I posted it. If I would have just thought about it I would have said Texas, but aren't they small? I'm not a fan of Texas.
Nope, no elk in CO, hehe! Actually, there are some pretty good size deer down in Texas if they let them grow for several years to maturity.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Actually, there are some pretty good size deer down in Texas if they let them grow for several years to maturity.
HA! I've had dogs bigger than Texas deer! Same for Florida deer too! Now granted some of them ranch raised stock deer get pretty big but a good many of those deer owe their genetic background to a Northern Bloodline! They are naturally small in ALL hotter climates. If you see a big bodied deer in Texas (and what I call big bodied is over 210 field dressed) then you can bet your bottom dollar that deer has a northern genetic line and somewhere CLOSE.

As far as the OP question. I'm with Pete. My big butt is hitting the hills either in Pa, TN, or CO.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
HA! I've had dogs bigger than Texas deer! Same for Florida deer too! Now granted some of them ranch raised stock deer get pretty big but a good many of those deer owe their genetic background to a Northern Bloodline! They are naturally small in ALL hotter climates. If you see a big bodied deer in Texas (and what I call big bodied is over 210 field dressed) then you can bet your bottom dollar that deer has a northern genetic line and somewhere CLOSE.

As far as the OP question. I'm with Pete. My big butt is hitting the hills either in Pa, TN, or CO.
Baloney and FYI there aren't that many deer killed anywhere that will dress out on a legal scale at 210#. Furthermore, there are plenty of big deer down there on low fence ranches that don't have a trace of northern genetics in them just like the ones I always hunted down in the brush country where a good 4 year old deer would dress out at 150# or more and that's more the norm in the upper part of the country too. Yes, there are some bigger bucks up north, but animals don't always read Bergmann's Rule relating to smaller sizes as you go south either.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-11-2015 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.