Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk release in WI

Old 06-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Elk release in WI

24 Elk from Kentucky will be released any day now in west central Wisconsin. They had 3 calves born but lost 5 adults in April due to tick borne disease, I wonder how many the Wolves will get. We're supposed to be getting up to 150 over the next 5 years, some will be going to the north central herd, that has been there for years, but not multiplying very fast. I talked to a guy involved with the Elk release, he said we will have enough Elk for a hunt in my life time, i hope so but doubt it.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

It was many decades before PA had an elk her large enough to justify a season with a very limited take. Between the killing for damaging crops and brain worm deaths it was a long time until the elk hers got strong enoigh to grow. I wish you luck i having a season.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:24 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy
I talked to a guy involved with the Elk release, he said we will have enough Elk for a hunt in my life time, i hope so but doubt it.
I think he's talking about for the wolves.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The wolves won't have a chance to get them. They did a test release of 5 elk. They all died from tick-born disease within a month.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Wingbone
The wolves won't have a chance to get them. They did a test release of 5 elk. They all died from tick-born disease within a month.
Sorry to hear Wisconsin has a wolf problem too.

Where my family hunts in the Upper Peninsula the wolfs have decimated the deer herd.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes we have a wolf problem also, I just read of another new problem, CWD was found this month in a 7 year old Doe in a High fence Deer farm somewhat near where the Elk release area is, and 3 bucks that escaped this deer farm are still at large! The plan was to release Elk in the mid 90's up north and in central WI, but due to the fact that CWD was found in southern WI they put off the central release, until now. They're still going ahead with the release of the Elk. I wish the WI DNR would've banned High fence Deer Farms in WI 30 years ago!!!
Old 02-10-2016, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just read in the paper yesterday that wolves got 3 more Elk last month, they got another one in Sept. The 24 elk are down to 17 already. Thats some pretty expensive T-Dog food!