Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Scoring trophies

Old 06-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scoring trophies

I do not really care about how much a game animal scores. I very seldom measure mine but I have done it to amuse myself a few times. However, I do find it funny when I see a mount or a picture where someone claims a score that is absolutely unbelievable.

Looking at an elk rack that would score somewhere around 300" if a tape was properly applied and seeing the hunter claim 340" or 360" just tickles me. Same goes for some of the 80" pronghorns and 190" mule deer out there.

Of course the fellows on TV hunting shows can score a running animal within an inch or so at 800 yards and "pass on them" if they are not up to snuff. Amazing talent.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

When you get paid to kill deer from a blind or stand that has been set up for you and the deer baited to the blind or stand before you arrived and all your hunting equipment is paid for by the company who makes the brand you use, you too can be an amazing expert and measure deer on the run.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

lmao@ 80" pronger! Lawdy have mercy! What's the record now? 96" or something like that? Taking in all measurements, mass circumference, spreads, blade length, main length, 16 inches really isn't all that much difference so an 80"er sheesh! I think the biggest green scoring prong I ever took was around 63" 65" or somewhere thereabouts and he looked like a MONSTER in the scope. Ended up after drying (inside and tip to tip spread shrinks some) I think it ended up with a 61 5/8" or somewhere thereabouts. Been 20+ years so memory fades a smidge. I really couldn't imagine an 80 or a 96 incher in my scope. Talk about getting horn fever! Hell I haven't bone hunted in a couple of decades but I still get all rowdy when I see a nice set of bones walking out!
Old 06-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
lmao@ 80" pronger!
They do exist but a real 80" goat is pretty rare, except on the internet!
Old 06-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Seriously......who cares?
Old 06-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
They do exist but a real 80" goat is pretty rare, except on the internet!
I don't know why you made that statement because there are quite a few 80" or better ones taken each year. I've taken 3 that are mid 70s where we hunt in Wyoming and this is one that I helped my buddy take last year in that unit that officially scored 84 4/8" and made the all time B&C Book. Tip to tip and width are not used in the score, just the beam lengths, four circumference measurements on each side and the prong length on each side. Those are all totaled up for each side to get a gross score and the difference between each measurement from side to side is deducted to get the final net score. The B&C measurer in Cody came up with a gross score of 85 7/8" and with 1 3/8" of deducts the net was what I mentioned. The length of the horns were 16" and 16 4/8". I will have to resize the 2 pictures to put them up because the site won't take them the way they are. The third picture is the finished mount I got in 2009 and is the prettiest of the three I've taken and was around 75" with horns that were 14 1/2" in length.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Banned

thems some nice lookin goats ,top. purty decent whitey in the background also.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kidoggy
thems some nice lookin goats ,top. purty decent whitey in the background also.
Thank you! Both those racks are whitetails. The nearest is a typical 10 pointer and the rear one is the only nontypical one I've ever seen in the wild. He's pretty wide and is also a ten pointer that most think is a 4x4 muley with brows. Both were taken in the brush country of south Texas. What was really something about the Booner antelope is that John and I were putting a stalk on two nice bucks that I had scouted and waypointed before the season opened when we ran into him and there was no doubt he was the best we had ever seen on the hoof. He went straight away from us and actually cut the distance back to the truck by over 1/4 mile and then laid down on the top of a big hill to watch his territory to the north the way he had been heading. We slipped up below him to about 210 yards, set up and waited until he got back up and he didn't know what hit him when John touched one off. Here is John carrying him back to the truck so we could take him in and let the taxidermist cape him out, as we didn't want to mess him up. The taxidermist isn't done with the mount yet and I can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thems some nice speedies Top, but I was sure I had to measure tip to tip as well as the widest point between. Had to look it up but I was correct. Here's the B&C online scoring sheet http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgReco...type=Pronghorn

Like I said, been a lotta years since I really cared about that stuff so I was thinking maybe I was mistaken.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Thems some nice speedies Top, but I was sure I had to measure tip to tip as well as the widest point between. Had to look it up but I was correct. Here's the B&C online scoring sheet http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgReco...type=Pronghorn

Like I said, been a lotta years since I really cared about that stuff so I was thinking maybe I was mistaken.
Thanks! Those two measurements are taken and put on the official score sheet, but they are not used in the score! Don't ask me why when those are the first two measurements you enter, but the final score sheet just shows them over on the left and they aren't used for anything like I stated earlier.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-06-2015 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.