Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Scoring trophies

Old 06-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahh ok in other words just some stupid work!

Edit to add: I'm sure this has been stated many times, but don't all hunters think that about the STUPIDEST rule with B&C and P&Y is deduction if they aren't perfectly even! I mean REALLY, give the animal credit for what the hell it grew!

Last edited by super_hunt54; 06-06-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking Antelope Topgun! I turned in for a cheap $48 Antelope doe tag (tasty meat), to go along with my WY Mule deer hunt this fall. I did the same thing last time out and i stalked up on a nice big sleeping buck. I find it harder to get a doe as the bucks stand out easier, at least when there running. And by the time i double check there face to see if there a doe the speed demons are out of my range. But we have fun getting them. One of these years i'll spend the mula, and shoot some nice horns for the wall.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you Biguncle, I knew a guy that always bragged his whitetail rack is 20" inside spread and he gave up hunting cause he'll never top the monster. I had a tape measure on me once and bet him it's not even 17" inside. He of course said i couldn't touch it, and dropped the subject, with me, only with me though lol. It was a nice rack, but prolly a max 18" spread when it was green. Some guys just love to dazzle the part time hunters with BS.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Super hunt, I am not enamored with big bone, however I was a Boone and Crocket measurer for several years and helped with the measuring sessions for entry into the PA record book. No only are point legnth, height, width, spread, circumfrence important but being concentric is also important to be condidered and exceptional rack and the record books are for exceptional racks, not just big racks. Those are the rules applied to all the racks now in the books and to lower the standards now would lower the importace to those now on the books. Can't change rules in midstream.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

What I think happens, especially for game like elk is that a lot of people are hunting them with guides and they don't know much about them. They go on a guided hunt and when the guide says "shoot him he will score 330" or something like that, they take the guide's word as gospel even if the elk is little more than a raghorn. Guides get paid to get animals for their clients and they aren't above stretching things a bit on hunters that are kind of ignorant. Same thing happens with speedgoats. Not many people live in real good speedgoat country so not many people are good at judging them. There are a lot of non-residents hunting mulies with guides and the same thing happens there. How many spindly mulies you see with a caption saying he went 180 or 190? You don't here about it as much with whitetails since people are more familiar with them.

And since it won't make the book it never gets officially scored. Plus, no trophy ever gets smaller when the stories start being told. Unless the score is officially recorded it will always increase slightly every time the story gets told.

I used to be a member of the NAHC until they got stupid. There was a guy on there that stated he took bulls better than 325 B&C every year on public land in CO. I told him he was a liar since I know the area really well that he claimed to hunt and a 325 bull is a very rare beast in that area. So, went on the net and found a photo of a 325 bull and posted it and challenged him to post some photos of his "325" bulls. He never did. A 325 bull is a pretty impressive beast. He may have thought he was taking big elk, but bottom line if the main beams aren't 50 inches or better the bull probably won't break the 320 mark.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Thank you! Both those racks are whitetails. The nearest is a typical 10 pointer and the rear one is the only nontypical one I've ever seen in the wild. He's pretty wide and is also a ten pointer that most think is a 4x4 muley with brows. Both were taken in the brush country of south Texas. What was really something about the Booner antelope is that John and I were putting a stalk on two nice bucks that I had scouted and waypointed before the season opened when we ran into him and there was no doubt he was the best we had ever seen on the hoof. He went straight away from us and actually cut the distance back to the truck by over 1/4 mile and then laid down on the top of a big hill to watch his territory to the north the way he had been heading. We slipped up below him to about 210 yards, set up and waited until he got back up and he didn't know what hit him when John touched one off. Here is John carrying him back to the truck so we could take him in and let the taxidermist cape him out, as we didn't want to mess him up. The taxidermist isn't done with the mount yet and I can't wait to see it when it's finished.
hmm.. I also that that was a mulie , hard to tell by that pic.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flags
What I think happens, especially for game like elk is that a lot of people are hunting them with guides and they don't know much about them. They go on a guided hunt and when the guide says "shoot him he will score 330" or something like that, they take the guide's word as gospel even if the elk is little more than a raghorn. Guides get paid to get animals for their clients and they aren't above stretching things a bit on hunters that are kind of ignorant. Same thing happens with speedgoats. Not many people live in real good speedgoat country so not many people are good at judging them. There are a lot of non-residents hunting mulies with guides and the same thing happens there. How many spindly mulies you see with a caption saying he went 180 or 190? You don't here about it as much with whitetails since people are more familiar with them.

And since it won't make the book it never gets officially scored. Plus, no trophy ever gets smaller when the stories start being told. Unless the score is officially recorded it will always increase slightly every time the story gets told.

lol. a little time makes an average fishing trip , great.

I used to be a member of the NAHC until they got stupid. There was a guy on there that stated he took bulls better than 325 B&C every year on public land in CO. I told him he was a liar since I know the area really well that he claimed to hunt and a 325 bull is a very rare beast in that area. So, went on the net and found a photo of a 325 bull and posted it and challenged him to post some photos of his "325" bulls. He never did. A 325 bull is a pretty impressive beast. He may have thought he was taking big elk, but bottom line if the main beams aren't 50 inches or better the bull probably won't break the 320 mark.
my thoughts on this is if your happy with what you shot , it makes no difference if it scores 250 or 350.if your not happy with it , you should have passed.just the oppinion of a simple man.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kidoggy

my thoughts on this is if your happy with what you shot , it makes no difference if it scores 250 or 350.if your not happy with it , you should have passed.just the oppinion of a simple man.
Agreed. I'm merely pointing out on of the reasons that so many "trophies" seem to have inflated scores. Personally, I have never scored anything I have shot. Never saw the need to and my ego never ran that way. I take the game for what it is: each animal is unique and special. The status of "trophy" is in the eye of the beholder.

For instance, the whitetail below is in my opinion the single finest deer ever taken. It is the only whitetail my father ever took and it was the last deer he ever took. Dad was always a mule deer and elk hunter and a good friend of mine in FL opened his property up so Dad could hunt. The carcass hanging behind us is a wild hog the owner took that morning. Lung cancer took Dad from me the year after this pic was taken. To me, that 6 pt rack has more meaning than anything I have ever taken or will ever take.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, doggy, If you are happy with the animal you took, that is what matters, the memories that go with it mean more in my opinion than numbers and your name in a book. Like Flags, I have never measured anything I took even though I measured for others every few years when the PA book was holding measring days for the PA book for PA Elk, deer and bear. People would occasionally try to cheat even there. However for those who do hunt to take the book antler animals, more power to them. The only thing that ticks me off about some in that crowd, and you do not see much of it on this message board I have been on, are those who chastize a hunter who posts a picture of a nice buck they too for not letting it walk on so it would get another year or two of age. My question always was, who wold he be leaving it walk for?
Old 06-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Flags---I also have a couple pictures that involve my Dad, as they were taken on the last hunt I was able to get him on down in Texas in the Spring of 2010 before he passed the following year five days shy of his 89th birthday. He was in the blind with me and we had his little Sako Forester .243 that he cherished as the most accurate rifle he owned during his lifetime. I wanted him to shoot the bird and hog, but he told me to go ahead and after a little arguing I did. I think it may have been because his eyesite was not the best by then, but maybe just because he wanted "the boy" to do it with "his gun"! We sure shared a ton of time outdoors from about as early as I could walk until he died!

Oldtimr---I have to echo your thoughts on score, as I think the "Book" mentality that many people have has ruined our sport!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.