Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Remington X Mark Pro trigger >

Remington X Mark Pro trigger

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Remington X Mark Pro trigger

Old 06-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

question?
the Remington models
715,720,721,722,725,600,660,600 Mohawk,788,78,700,XR100, and model 7 all share the same trigger, why does everyone just bitch about the 700?
RR
Old 06-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck if I know RR. I never liked the feel of Rem triggers myself. On ANY of their models. Matter of fact, about the only thing I do like about Rem rifles is the actions. Built quite a few off a Rem action but the triggers NEVER stayed.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
question?
the Remington models
715,720,721,722,725,600,660,600 Mohawk,788,78,700,XR100, and model 7 all share the same trigger, why does everyone just bitch about the 700?
RR
Because they jump on the band wagon. Like I said, I've never had an issue with one and neither has anyone else that I know that shoots them. But, when you have millions of an item in the field you're going to have some lemons. It happens with everything that has ever been made. Matter of fact the only accidental discharge I've ever seen in the field was a Win Model 70. Never seen one with a Remington, Ruger, Weatherby, Savage or CZ.

Top my old friend, we've known each other a long time but on this we are going top have to agree to disagree. I'm well aware you your dislike of the Remington trigger, but I can state without a bit of doubt that I have never seen an issue with them. My late father put so many rounds through his 7mm Mag that he replaced the barrel twice and the only trigger on that rifle was the factory trigger. I now own his rifle and wouldn't hesitate to use it anywhere on earth with complete confidence.

Peace.

Last edited by flags; 06-06-2015 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

got jewels, timneys, and professionaly tuned factory Remington triggers, not much difference IMO
RR
Old 06-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum Kshorn1, we had pages and pages of debate last winter in the gun section over the Rem trigger. Go to the gun section and turn back a few pages and read the thread on the Rem trigger recall, if you want lots of info. My opinion is the "misfires" are a combination of either, residue/oil build up, reckless firearm handling, unqualified gun smithing and mostly lawyers looking for work.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
got jewels, timneys, and professionaly tuned factory Remington triggers, not much difference IMO
RR
I forgot, I have kept ONE for a bit, was one that a buddy of mine (Marine that worked for 15 years in the Precision Weapons section as a smith) worked the trigger on it. Only Rem trigger I ever felt that was passable. His exact words to me were "Damn your a picky SOB!" Which I guess I am when it comes to some things on my rifles and handguns. The trigger being about the pickiest thing. Think I kept that trigger for a few months before I dropped in a worked Jewell.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy
Welcome to the forum Kshorn1, we had pages and pages of debate last winter in the gun section over the Rem trigger. Go to the gun section and turn back a few pages and read the thread on the Rem trigger recall, if you want lots of info. My opinion is the "misfires" are a combination of either, residue/oil build up, reckless firearm handling, unqualified gun smithing and mostly lawyers looking for work.
Hate to say it, but every single injury or death that occurred from these so called "miss-fires" were the product of failing to adhere to the GOLDEN rule of firearms safety, NEVER POINT YOUR FIREARM AT ANYTHING YOU AREN'T GOING TO KILL That's plain and simple. If they hadn't been miss-handling the firearm in the first place, when and IF it did miss-fire then NO ONE would have gotten hurt. Always treat your firearm as if it were loaded and ready to fire and keep it pointed in a safe direction.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

super hunt 54---Nobody, including myself, has ever argued with your statement on proper gun handling. Let's leave that out and strictly discuss the rifles themselves. What I have a problem with is that as early as December 3, 1946, with the guns still in the testing stage, lead engineer Merle “Mike” Walker, who later received a patent for the 700 series trigger, wrote a memo warning of a “theoretical unsafe condition” involving the gun’s safety that is supposed to keep the gun from firing accidentally and he, therefore, asked that a trigger block be installed to eliminate the problem. Four months later in an April 9, 1947 memo entitled “M/721 Pilot Line Inspection,”Test Engineer Wayne Leek wrote: “This situation can be very dangerous from a safety and functional point of view.” Among other things, Leek stated it was “possible to fire the gun by pushing the safety to the ‘off’ position.” That same malfunction, in which the gun fires when the safety is turned off, is cited in many of the customer complaints that persist to this day. These guys were talking about rifles that had never left the factory or been touched by customers and are the designer and engineer intricately involved with the original mechanism which came to be known as the Walker "Fire Control" trigger. Top brass in other memos ruled that the rifles would be produced without the trigger block because of cost overruns even though we're only talking about 5 1/2 cents per rifle and the reason was that their calculations were such that the percentage of rifles where that would occur would be very minimal! Now people continue to argue over decades of many accidents that none of this is happening other than by customer error, etc. That is why I get so upset when people won't look at the facts stated in these memos that are right out of the Remington files when they discuss this situation.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-05-2015 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-05-2015, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Yet another internet firestorm!

Please link a valid court case that shows actual proof of the defective trigger (not just a few memos). Lower court and appellate if applicable. Every time I have read one of these cases there have been a lot of unproven claims.

I have witnessed more than one accidental firings involving both Ruger and Remington rifles. In those events someone clearly had their finger on the trigger as they released the safety. In two of those instances the shooter swears that they did not touch the trigger but others present (including me) saw them do it.

Anything is possible, and anything can fail. Any manufacturer that makes millions of products has probably made some with a defect of some type. Gun safety could not be more important but I have seen nothing to make me believe that all of the talk about the Walker trigger is anything of substance.
Uncle, I seem to recall 3 or 4 videos that were out a couple years back that showed this malfunction and it was CLEARLY evident that their fingers were NOT on the trigger. I seem to remember one being a pump shotgun that fired off as soon as the bolt locked. Don't remember if that was a Rem or not though. But I do remember 2 or 3 Rem 700's that was showing this issue. The guys had their hand on the grip and pushed the safety off with a finger. Impossible to touch the trigger that way.

And I do recall all these memo's that came out (And I don't see why you deem them as unimportant) and in direct correlation to them coming out Rem folded camp and payed out a few million. They got caught with hands in the cookie jar and got a couple fingers cut off for it.

I'm not one to jump on a bandwagon for any cause that is unclear. Hell, as I stated earlier, I've never liked Rem triggers but I've never PERSONALLY had one fail like that but I'm also not one to bury my head in the sand and say "well I aint seen it so it must not have happened" either. Granted I'm older than gunpowder and have lived through a LOT of advancements in firearms as well as some stupidity in production lines but that in no way means I've seen and done all there is.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Who's to say that the deaths and injuries were directly linked to the triggers??? all the supposed failures combined are less than 1% of guns produced... that in some circles is a pretty good safety record!!!! OMG the sky is falling.... if you were to really look at many of the incidents it was piss poor gn handling and not the gun it's self..... I mean who points a rifle at someone and pulls the trigger!!??????? and yes that was cited in more than one instance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.