Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Yukon moose

Old 09-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

And listen to your guide...if he says, don't shoot.....don't shoot. Be patient. You're not going to see a moose behind every tree. I killed my moose on day 8 of a 10 day hunt.. Passed up several I would have shot if the guide hadn't been there.... sure glad I listened!! Put most of your meat into burger.....it has great flavor, but even the tenderloins will wear your jaws out! Bring a shooting stick and gun oil/rust remover.. I had to wipe my gun down every day.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tatonka
And listen to your guide...if he says, don't shoot.....don't shoot. Be patient. You're not going to see a moose behind every tree. I killed my moose on day 8 of a 10 day hunt.. Passed up several I would have shot if the guide hadn't been there.... sure glad I listened!! Put most of your meat into burger.....it has great flavor, but even the tenderloins will wear your jaws out! Bring a shooting stick and gun oil/rust remover.. I had to wipe my gun down every day.
Hence why you don't go after big old bulls. In other words, what the guide wants you to shoot. I'll take the youngest legal bull I can. Mostly I go after a cow moose but if I have a shot at a nice 3 to 4 year old bull I'll take it. Old bull's, like pretty much any other meat animal, are tough. The ones you passed up probably would have been some of the best meat that ever passed your lips my friend. I can't eat them big ole paddles so I could care less about an 8-10 year old bull that, as you said, is good for mostly hamburger only.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Hence why you don't go after big old bulls. In other words, what the guide wants you to shoot. I'll take the youngest legal bull I can. Mostly I go after a cow moose but if I have a shot at a nice 3 to 4 year old bull I'll take it. Old bull's, like pretty much any other meat animal, are tough. The ones you passed up probably would have been some of the best meat that ever passed your lips my friend. I can't eat them big ole paddles so I could care less about an 8-10 year old bull that, as you said, is good for mostly hamburger only.
How many moose have you killed?
Old 09-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why would you go to the Yukon to kill a young bull?
Old 09-09-2015, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

To date 21. Been going yearly for many years and usually connect. Rifle hunting Moose isn't that difficult In BC or Alaska. Especially when you could care less about head gear. Where I'd love to hunt Moose is Main. But getting drawn as a NR there is about as likely as hitting the powerball. With Alaska, you have tags over the counter, registration and pre registration areas so you have to know which area is which and plan accordingly. Some you can do online and others you have to physically go and register to get a tag. BC is also easy to get a tag BUT you have to hunt with a Licensed guide/outfitter or a landowner with a license. It's also pretty salty in price. Tag isn't but all the guides know they have the NR hunters by the short hairs and take full advantage of it.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Why would you go to the Yukon to kill a young bull?
Rob you posted while I was writing, I don't go go to the Yukon usually. I have a 10,000 acre area that I hunt pretty much every year. Have for 15 years now. I don't hunt for bone, I hunt for meat and my costs are generally MUCH lower than your traditional "trophy" hunters going after head gear. So bringing home 350 to 650 pounds of meat for generally 2500 to 3500 in cost, well that's an average of $7.50- $10.00 a pound for some of the best meat on the planet. Old bulls mean little to me. I for dang sure aint forking out 10k+ to go kill an animal for bone on it's head. Not saying that's a bad thing to do, just not my cup of tea.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was waiting for this answer. Not everyone is enamored with bone but love to hunt and eat game.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Rob you posted while I was writing, I don't go go to the Yukon usually. I have a 10,000 acre area that I hunt pretty much every year. Have for 15 years now. I don't hunt for bone, I hunt for meat and my costs are generally MUCH lower than your traditional "trophy" hunters going after head gear. So bringing home 350 to 650 pounds of meat for generally 2500 to 3500 in cost, well that's an average of $7.50- $10.00 a pound for some of the best meat on the planet. Old bulls mean little to me. I for dang sure aint forking out 10k+ to go kill an animal for bone on it's head. Not saying that's a bad thing to do, just not my cup of tea.
I'm curious what state or province this 10,000 acre area is in? Sounds like you have a good gig going if you have taken 21 moose! Is it wilderness area or private land?
Old 09-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, my company was doing security work for the pipeline many moons ago and I secured residential status back then since I lived there 7 months out of the year. It's how I met one of the guys that owns the property I hunt there. That would be how I could take Cow's back then. All totaled there are 12 people that own that property (or rather own the rights to it) and they always submit my apps and such for resident status. The past 20 years, this will be the first year I haven't hit Alaska because of a pretty nasty knee injury. Us old farts don't bounce like you pups. We sorta splatter But the past 20 years aren't the only years I've Moose hunted. Been going up there on and off for well over 45 years. But yes it is a really good gig with tons of Moose action. It's fly in only and lots of nice bottom swamp areas. Great for Fall hunts. Bad for recovery (getting a Moose out of loose,wet, deep, sticky mud aint fun).
Old 09-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

We've gotten a little of the subject here, but I'm sure the person starting this thread isn't traveling from WV to the Yukon to kill a young bull or a cow. To each his own......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.