Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Hard luck hunts

Old 04-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hard luck hunts

I think everyone has a big game animal with which they have good luck, and everyone has one with which they have bad luck. After my first two fruitless hunts (educational experiences) my good luck game has always been elk. I can not really explain it but I simply end up at the same place and time as do the elk. I have long ago lost count but at least three dozen elk have volunteered to fill my freezer. From big tough stinky bulls to delicious cows it is just my good luck game.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 11-26-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

For me it is bushbuck. Never could put it together when it came to bushbuck. I got everything else that I went to Africa for but not a bushbuck. For my father it was warthog. He went there 4 times before he passed but he never got a warthog. Crazy since I stumbled over them all the time.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Spike

For me, a good mule deer has been my nemesis. Over the years I made 6 hunts and the best I could come up with was just so, so (a light 4X5 with maybe a 17 to 18 inch spread). Then last October I ended my curse in southern Alberta. Took a typical that scored 193 B&C gross with a 30 inch outside spread.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ramhunter71
For me, a good mule deer has been my nemesis. Over the years I made 6 hunts and the best I could come up with was just so, so (a light 4X5 with maybe a 17 to 18 inch spread). Then last October I ended my curse in southern Alberta. Took a typical that scored 193 B&C gross with a 30 inch outside spread.
Sounds like your bad luck with mule deer is over. I have done well with them but I think it is harder to bag a real honest to goodness trophy mule deer than most game species.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:14 AM
Spike

Well, Craig Boddington agrees with you. A number of years ago he wrote a series of monographs on all of the major North American big game animals for the B&C magazine that were later published in book form. He claimed that a really big trophy mule deer, but not necessarily a B&C head, was the toughest trophy to take in North America.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
For me it is bushbuck. Never could put it together when it came to bushbuck. I got everything else that I went to Africa for but not a bushbuck. For my father it was warthog. He went there 4 times before he passed but he never got a warthog. Crazy since I stumbled over them all the time.
I'm just the opposite. I was lucky enough to kill a Limpopo bushbuck on my first trip to South Africa, then on my second trip to Africa I got a Chobe bushbuck on the last day of my Zimbabwe hunt, and on my third trip to Africa I got a Cape bushbuck while hunting in the Eastern Cape of South Africa.

However, I didn't kill a warthog until my fourth trip to Africa. I saw plenty of warthogs on every trip, and even saw some monsters, but just couldn't get a good shot.

Here at home a mountain lion and a grizzly bear have been my hard luck hunts. I had tags for both for many years, and have seen both in the woods, but either not while hunting or as for grizzly bears, after they quit selling tags. Those are also very difficult animals for DIY hunts.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Warthogs are fun and usually a "target of opportunity" in my experience. They just seem to appear when you are following an eland track, glassing gemsbok, or just eating lunch. I am not quite sure how you would deliberately hunt one.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two animals on that list.

1. Eastern wild turkey. I've hunted them 7 times, (almost 20 days in total- DIY and guided hunts). Missed a silent bird in MO, and saw toms 2 other times while hunting. Sitting in deer stands...seen plenty of 'em. And close too.

2. White-tail buck. I passed on a very long tined 6pt waiting for a big 8 and a big 10 that were on camera. That 6 is the biggest WT buck I've seen on a deer hunt, where I could've shot him if I wanted.

Last edited by JoeA; 04-15-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Spike

I am always lucky enough to hunt specklebelly goose and also snow goose hunting.