Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Wood Bison return to the wild in Alaska >

Wood Bison return to the wild in Alaska

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Wood Bison return to the wild in Alaska

Old 03-29-2015, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wood Bison return to the wild in Alaska

Just a few days ago 100 wood bison were flown to the village of Shageluk in western Alaska. In the coming weeks they'll be released from their temporary holding pens and back into the wild, where they've been absent for over 100 years. This summer 30 adult bull wood bison will be barged down the Yukon River to be released with the rest of the herd.

http://www.usnews.com/news/science/n...elease-planned

This has been a huge undertaking that has been more than 20 years in the making. Hopefully it is a success as Alaska has several other areas of prime wood bison habitat that they could also be released. The Yukon Flats, north of Fairbanks, has more suitable habitat than the Mackenzie Bison Sanctuary in Canada's NWT, and could easily support a herd of several thousand.

Once they reach sufficient numbers, hunting permits will be allocated. 20% will go to local villages through registration permits, and 80% will be given out via drawing permit, with 90% allocated to Alaska residents.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good to see. I've hunted Plains Bison in Ak a couple of times. Quite a bit smaller than the Wood Bison. Be nice when they have a huntable population. Some good meat on them critters! If you think a Beef Porterhouse is good, then lemmi tell you, a Bison porterhouse will make you think you have died and gone straight to heaven!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing better than a bison roast or steak. Elk is in second place clawing at first.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing the article. Good to see something like this happening. Hope they adjust well and populations begin to grow.
-Jake
Old 03-31-2015, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is great news. Most people may not be aware, but the bison was once common from coast to coast in the lower 48, not just on the plains.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

A long time ago there were wood Bison in PA. There is a small village near where I lived as a child named Buffalo Springs because when the Bison came through they would water there. I think reintroduction of a native species in Alaska is a great idea.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Delighted to hear that.

We need to do more for the generations yet to hunt !

It's our heritage............................??
Old 04-01-2015, 02:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
A long time ago there were wood Bison in PA. There is a small village near where I lived as a child named Buffalo Springs because when the Bison came through they would water there. I think reintroduction of a native species in Alaska is a great idea.
I live about 45 minutes from the town of Clearfield, PA, which got its name from the herds of bison grazing the area into a large clearing. To have been alive in colonial times and have seen the bison, elk, and other wildlife in PA would have been amazing.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Spike

I am excited to see them on my next adventure to W.A.
-JR
Old 04-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

...Deleted by CalHunter...

--See Post 17 for Explanation.

Last edited by CalHunter; 04-14-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Rule # 2--Warning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.