Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Travel with firearms

Old 03-19-2015, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Travel with firearms

This is being discussed in many places now but I have not seen it here. There are some new rules for U.S. citizens traveling outside of the country with firearms that go into effect next month.

Apparently you are granted an exemption to obtaining an export permit if you are taking three or less firearms or 1,000 rounds of ammunition, but you need to register on line at AES and obtain a number to give to CBP.

This seems complicated and I do not think anyone truly understands the rules yet, including CBP. I imagine (hope) there will be some changes in this after the public outcry but be advised.

https://www.ice.gov/cpi/faq
Old 03-19-2015, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hadn't heard there was going to be changes. Good to know. I went to Ontario last fall and it took about 30 minutes to go through Canadian Customs. Coming back, US Customs didn't want to see the forms, firearms, deer we had. Go figure.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Then of course there is the permit you must buy to take a gun into Canada!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
I hadn't heard there was going to be changes. Good to know. I went to Ontario last fall and it took about 30 minutes to go through Canadian Customs. Coming back, US Customs didn't want to see the forms, firearms, deer we had. Go figure.
When returning from British Columbia, they did the same thing to me once when I crossed the border with a couple of bear skins. They asked if I had a good hunt and sent me on my way. Guess they figured if I had the papers in hand they were probably legit. But all 5 times I've returned from Africa they wanted to see everything. Go figure?

Last edited by flags; 03-24-2015 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I had an outfitting business outside of the U.S. and wanted U.S. hunters to use my service I would make sure that I had a couple of very good quality hunting rifles available to rent. This is becoming much more common in Africa due to the ever increasing problems associated with international travel with firearms. Some African outfitters offer very high quality rifles equipped with expensive scopes available at low cost. It would not surprise me to see Canadian outfitters following suit.

I plan to travel to Africa one more time with my own rifles. After that I will probably save myself the hassle and rent from the outfitter.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
It would not surprise me to see Canadian outfitters following suit.
I've hunted Canada twice. Both times I was given the option of using a rifle the outfitter had. But I'd rather hunt with my own rifle if possible. That being said, I'm probably done with hunting Africa and Canada but I would love to hunt Scotland and Mongolia before I go under the grass.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

It looks as though the NRA and some others are getting involved.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...s-and-shooters

This is an issue that could have an impact on big game hunting. If U.S. hunters travel less it could be a game changer in some other countries.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 03-23-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
It looks as though the NRA and some others are getting involved.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...s-and-shooters

This is an issue that could have an impact on big game hunting. If U.S. hunters travel less it could be a game changer in some other countries.
Especially in Africa where US hunter dollars fund hundreds of millions of dollars.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's obvious that this Administration is going to do everything it can, especially regarding firearms, to screw us over until it's gone! I just hope the GOP can come up with someone that can win in 2016, but the way the Dems have so many votes public locked up with all their entitlements it's not looking good IMHO!
Old 03-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Please do not hijack this thread with partisan political issues, as there is a separate forum for that. I do hope someone starts a healthy discussion of this issue's origins and intent in that forum.

This was intended to be a "heads-up" to anyone planning to travel outside of the U.S. borders with their rifles (oddly it does not apply to most shotguns). Hunting seasons are just starting in some other parts of the world. Someone could have their trip ruined and maybe their rifles confiscated if they are not aware of this new regulation.