Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Africa or Alaska?

Old 05-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

Not all of Africa is desert heat. The temperature depends on when and where you are.

When I hunted in the Free State of South Africa, every morning the grass was white with frost. Our "lodge" was a converted ox barn that had been built in the 1860s. Its only heat was a huge open fireplace on the ground floor, and at night we slept with 5 or 6 blankets on our beds.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:54 AM
Spike

Alaska if in shape, Africa if not. A lot of Africa is sitting and waiting (not to say you can't get out and walk) I prefer Alaska due to the nature of having no idea what will happen next. Just harvesting any animal is a challenge in those environments, much less to get a trophy size animal on top of it.

Both places are worth the trip, even if you don't harvest anything.

Africa gives you the best chance of harvesting most species, as long as you have deep pockets.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NEHunter13
A lot of Africa is sitting and waiting (not to say you can't get out and walk) I prefer Alaska due to the nature of having no idea what will happen next.
I take it by this comment that you've never really spent much time in Africa have you? Have you spent hours stalking through heavy grass trying to get a shot at Cape Buffalo or Wildebeest? Have you been in the Karoo Mountians glassing and stalking for Rhebok and Mountain Reedbuck? Have you spent days trekking through the sun blasted grasslands of Cameroon trying to match wits with a Roan and a Lord Derby Eland? Have you been in the heavy brush looking for bushbuck, forest duiker , bongo and nyala?

Didn't think so.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Me neither, but I don't know what half of those animals are.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:14 AM
Banned

I thought they were the names of some tribe of people.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Me neither, but I don't know what half of those animals are.
Kiddoggy
I thought they were the names of some tribe of people.
You two are making my point. Everyone chiming in about Alaska knows nothing about Africa. you should try to inform yourselves. LOL

Last edited by flags; 05-26-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NEHunter13
Alaska if in shape, Africa if not. A lot of Africa is sitting and waiting (not to say you can't get out and walk) I prefer Alaska due to the nature of having no idea what will happen next. Just harvesting any animal is a challenge in those environments, much less to get a trophy size animal on top of it.

Both places are worth the trip, even if you don't harvest anything.

Africa gives you the best chance of harvesting most species, as long as you have deep pockets.
I believe that there is some truth to this point of view in some areas of Africa (i.e. smaller South Africa farms), but the continent of Africa is a very large place and offers many different types of experiences. Not all hunts are done by riding in the back of a truck and shooting over the rails. That style is not my cup of tea, but some of it obviously is that way and some guys like it. Some of it is very physical and exciting.

Listening to a truly wild lion roar at night is a special experience.

It can be quite cold (skim ice on the water puddles) in the morning in some places in June, July and August in the Southern countries such as Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe. I hear it is cold also in South Africa, but I will not hunt in that country.

After spending too much quality time in hot humid places while in the Army I also avoid the truly sweaty parts of Africa.

Both some parts of Alaska or some parts of Africa are winners, but you probably need "deep pockets" in both.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
You two are making my point. Everyone chiming in about Alaska knows nothing about Africa. you should try to inform yourselves. LOL
I thought I was making my point? I never wanted to hunt animals I never heard of. I never wanted to hunt Africa, so why should I research it?

I have wanted to hunt for grizz with a muzzleloader though. Even though i've been to Alaska working a gold claim. I've never hunted there, but I do like it.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 05-26-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle

Both some parts of Alaska or some parts of Africa are winners, but you probably need "deep pockets" in both.
Eh, There are many cost efficient hunts offered in Alaska. And I am sure there are many cost efficient hunts in Africa. I for one don't have deep pockets (At least that's what the wife keeps trying to tell me anyway) But I have found, over many years of hunting there, that Alaska can offer the beauty and majesty of the North American Continent for less than 5k AND I can bring home that wonderful MEAT that fills my freezer. I hunt to be out in nature and to be one with the Earth that gave me life. When I make a kill, it's not for a rack on the wall (at least not for the last 20 years anyway) it's for meat in the freezer. If I want to "just make memories" I would hunt with a camera not a rifle or bow. Africa, hell the travel alone is probably more than some hunts in Alaska. On the cheap you are looking at $1300 from Chicago to Kilimanjaro then you have flights to wherever you are going, then the guide then this then that. Sheesh.

Each person has to make their decision on what they want. An adventure in Africa is probably as about as exciting as it could get. Just not my cup of tea to go shooting animals for everyone else to eat. I do that enough here hog hunting for Hunters Feeding The Hungry Program. To each their own.

And Flags, how many times have you hunted Alaska? I've hunted and Fished up there every year for over 40 years. Climbing mountainsides to glass beautiful bottom lands for Moose, going through some of the thickest stuff you have ever seen to get up close and personal to Moose. Belly crawling over frozen tundra freezing my fun parts off to get within bow range of a Bou. Trout or Salmon fishing in streams so clear and clean it's like flowing glass with freshly woken Browns right across the stream from me doing the same thing. Lake trout big enough to ride! Watching big Timbers track and take down prey. The whole pack acting as one entity. There are good points and bad points to both as there is with pretty much everything else in life.

Just because you have hunted five times in Africa doesn't make you all knowing Flags. There are several others here that have hunted there in different parts of the Continent and different animals. Those people may or may not have a different opinion of hunting there as well as different experiences. Just like I know for a fact that there are many places in Alaska that is hard hunting and a match for any other place on this Earth. Your opinion is noted but not all encompassed. Other peoples opinion may matter to the OP so how's about you cut your snide remarks to people out.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
...I never wanted to hunt animals I never heard of. I never wanted to hunt Africa, so why should I research it?...
I guess some people just like to live in their own small world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.