Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Mexico elk hunting

Old 03-04-2015, 02:21 AM
Spike

Default New Mexico elk hunting

My grandfather and I are wanting to go elk hunting in New Mexico but don't knw were to start or look wen it comes to a place to draw for . Can anyone give us some advice were some good units an names to try for.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

With only 6% of the licenses given to NRs in the NM draw I would suggest that you do a google search and try to buy landowner tags, rather than to try to draw a tag because that can take years there and you may never draw one. Some landowner tags are only good for the private property, while others are for the entire unit the ranch is in, so know what you are buying if you go that route.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Spike

Thanks for the reply man, I really would b fine with going to colorado but my grandfather is dead set on trying to draw new mexico
Old 03-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever, but NM is about as unfriendly a state to NRs as there is out west the way they handle their tags.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't even consider 6% odds. The chance of both of you winning the draw are impossible.

I don't even consider putting in for any draw that has less than 90% odds. I fail with those odds a lot.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I don't even consider putting in for any draw that has less than 90% odds. I fail with those odds a lot.
Same here, with the exception of sheep and moose. I had a 90+% odds of finally getting my early season tag for unit 2 last year with 19 preference points. Guess what, I have 20 points this year because the less than 5% got me!
Old 03-22-2015, 12:13 PM
Spike

I hit a grand slam my first year in NM and have not drawn since...11 years. I still put in each year. I did buy a land owner tag in 2011 for mule deer and elk.