Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
New to outfitting, looking for your advice. >

New to outfitting, looking for your advice.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New to outfitting, looking for your advice.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

I've been on a few guided hunts. For me, the quality of the hunting and the attitude/personality of the outfitter is by far the most important.. Nice facilities, great food, etc. will not make up for poor hunting and/or a guide that is lazy, sarcastic, etc... Fortunately, I've never had a bad experience but I've read enough bad reviews to know that it happens.

Being where you are, I'd concentrate on attracting hunters from New England and the east coast. I don't think you're going to get much interest from people in the Western U.S. Some well placed advertisements in publications back there might pay off. I don't know if working with a booking agent is of any interest, but they might be a consideration until you get your reputation established.

It's going to take some time...all new businesses do, but word of mouth is going to be either your best friend or your worst enemy. I have bred dogs for going on 30 years now... The first few years were tough as no one knew who I was, but in time the word got out and these days I never have to advertise.. My pups are sold before they're born pretty much all from word of mouth..

New travels like wild fire over the internet these days....both good and bad... Good luck.