Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Have Oct 2016 off. What hunting trip to do solo? >

Have Oct 2016 off. What hunting trip to do solo?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Have Oct 2016 off. What hunting trip to do solo?

Old 01-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Cog
Spike

Hey guys,

Checked the season on bighorn sheep hunting in MT. Most of the OTC tag areas open in September. I don't know if this a first choice hunt anymore, and as enthusiastic as I am about remote wilderness areas, I realistically don't think I am experienced enough to face such an environment by myself.

Originally Posted by turke7
Do you have a budget in mind? A Wyoming mule deer/Antelope hunt is a lot of fun and relatively inexpensive compared to other hunts but won't take up a month of time. Sheep hunts can be very expensive and long draws unless you go over the counter in the very limited areas. You could always do a variety of DIY hunts. Mule deer, Antelope, Elk, and Whitetail deer in top spots just for the cost of gas, food, and the tags. You have plenty of time to plan multiple inexpensive hunting trips to take up a month. Are you looking to spend the whole month hunting or just a week or two?
I was thinking maybe 3k for everything involved, including any special equipment such as glass. I have some commitments early in Oct (weddings) but would be willing to spend 3 weeks away total. I guess my reservations about traveling across the US and buying OTC tags in unknown public land is the fact that I'm somewhat of a novice hunter and not skilled enough at scouting to pick a good spot to lie in wait, or where to zero in on as likely spots holding animals. Focusing on one thing helps narrow the scope of things I've got to learn to hopefully enjoy a successful hunt.

For what it's worth, I'm doing this to celebrate being done with 9 years of school. So something a bit more fantastic than antelope or a mule deer would be pretty sweet, but since I'm in my early stages of hunting I am also not ashamed to admit that I would be pretty darn proud of an antelope or mule deer skull.

Thanks for all the input so far folks