Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Going Elk hunting. Have some ??? >

Going Elk hunting. Have some ???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Going Elk hunting. Have some ???

Old 01-06-2015, 06:11 AM
Spike

Default Going Elk hunting. Have some ???

I'm going out west, Idaho (OCT) to be exact. It's a Rifle hunt. 5 days. I'm just wondering what should I expect and what are some things I should bring. We will be horse back riding in to the camp which are walled tents. The guide sent a list of stuff to have. At the bottom is says no gortex or other noisy fabric. Is Cabelas Rain suede considered noisy? Any tips or helpful hints would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2015, 07:20 AM
Banned

oct will likely (not always)be warm during days but freezing at night. I PREFER LAYERS to a heavy coat and personally like woal coats. warm , comfortable boots,your likely gonna be covering some rough country and break them in before you go hunting(have seen so many over the years that just buy a pair and then hunt the next day and wind up with big blisters. that will ruin your fun quick.)
my best advice is get on the phone and talk to your outfitter and pick his brain as he will know best what you need.if you have a ? ask it . he is your employee and if a good one he will do his best to provide help.

what unit are you hunting? cow or bull?

good luck on your hunt. and if you have any specific ?s don't hesitate to ask.
oh, don't forget your camera . we needs the pics.

Last edited by kidoggy; 01-06-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by swiffer26
I'm going out west, Idaho (OCT) to be exact. It's a Rifle hunt. 5 days. I'm just wondering what should I expect and what are some things I should bring. We will be horse back riding in to the camp which are walled tents. The guide sent a list of stuff to have. At the bottom is says no gortex or other noisy fabric. Is Cabelas Rain suede considered noisy? Any tips or helpful hints would be appreciated.

Thanks
If you go to the store run your fingernail on the material, if it makes a lot of noise you dont want it...basically because if branches scratch the material and make noise it will alert the elk to you being there. The guides will want you to be quiet as possible thats why they dont want gortex type stuff.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:59 AM
Spike

Unit 21 bulls, we will also be able to shoot white tail or a mule deer. HE did mention wool or polar fleece.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by swiffer26
Unit 21 bulls, we will also be able to shoot white tail or a mule deer. HE did mention wool or polar fleece.
nice! can't tell you much about the unit.I never hunted there. but there are wolves there so get a tag, you never know.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Spike

I'm defiantly excited as this is a trip I wouldn't think I'd be able to do for a long time. I was looking at wool and polar fleece and that stuff is salty.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy
nice! can't tell you much about the unit.I never hunted there. but there are wolves there so get a tag, you never know.
What part of Idaho are you in?
Old 01-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Banned

sw . mtn home
Old 01-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy
sw . mtn home
Ah ok, I used to be stationed there once upon a time...back about 12+yrs ago...
Old 01-06-2015, 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
Ah ok, I used to be stationed there once upon a time...back about 12+yrs ago...
well, other then a lot of empty houses, it hasn't changed much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.