Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Sagebrush rattlesnake

Old 12-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sagebrush rattlesnake

On a recent pronghorn hunt in Wyoming I experienced something new to me. As I walked through the sagebrush a rattlesnake started buzzing. That is nothing new, as I have run across a few buzzworms on the ground while pronghorn hunting. This ill tempered worm was up off of the ground and was somewhere inside of a large silver sage that was three or four feet from me. I have heard that they will sometimes slither up inside a sage but this is the first time I have ever experienced it. I kept my distance and circled the sagebrush but never saw him. I could see the ground clearly and could see the lower part of the sage clearly. He must have been a couple feet off of the ground and up in the center of that sage.

I have always had an unhealthy lack of fear of snakes (except for a Black Mamba that slid past me about ten feet away!), but the thought of a rattlesnake bite between the belt and knees had me uneasy for the rest of the hunt.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those little buggers will make you sick, but probably not do major damage. Try hunting in the south brush country of Texas with the big diamondbacks that are down in that country. I shot one that was 64" long and had 13 rattles and I can guarantee he would have made me a sick puppy if I hadn't seen him first!
Old 12-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

rule#1 in hunting, never look for snakes
If you see one all you'll get done the rest of the hunt is look for snakes
RR
Old 12-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Those little buggers will make you sick, but probably not do major damage. Try hunting in the south brush country of Texas with the big diamondbacks that are down in that country. I shot one that was 64" long and had 13 rattles and I can guarantee he would have made me a sick puppy if I hadn't seen him first!
If by major damage you mean death your right. Very rare to die of a rattlesnake bite in the US.

Only around 25% of pit vipers bites are dry bites. If you get envenomated expect to pay around $11,000 per vial of crofab and a severe bite will require up to 15 vials. Hope you have good insurance.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

165 G's for a snakebite? I'll take my chances!
RR
Old 12-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rule #1

Look for rattlesnakes before you set up your chair !!!

I obviously know from personal experience,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-21-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
rule#1 in hunting, never look for snakes
If you see one all you'll get done the rest of the hunt is look for snakes
RR
Good rule, LOL!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

They climb up off the ground to regulate their body temperature, this technique is used both in hot and cold situations.........it seems that 16 inches above the ground is optimal!!! Just a bit of trivia I brought back from survival training at china lake ca. courtesy of the
us navy!!!!!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, and before they go into hibernation when it will be cold for a long time they will lay on rocks and even on the road if the sun has warmed it up. My Dad was going down to a lease in south Texas in his little VW beetle one day and one was laying out across his lane that was so long he hit it with both front wheels!
Old 12-20-2014, 03:00 AM
Banned

I was once hunting with my brother and we got buzzed. after that he was worried about getting snake bit, so I said ,"don't worry, if you get bit I'LL suck out the poison."

he replied,"what if it bit me on the pecker."

I answered,"then you is gonna die!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.