Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The neck shot

Old 12-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by finnbear
I'm sorry my marksmanship doesn't seem to be top notch in your eyes...... head ans neck shots are easily missed and any here that say they don't miss in a hunting situation, is either a LIAR or at best delusional! Any one here that says they can consistently hit a target the size of a fist under hunting conditions, meaning most likely an off hand shot is full of it... there are just too many variables...lets say you are sighted in at 2 in. high at a hundred yds....do you really know exactly where your bullet is in relation to your line of sight at every foot of the distance to the target?? So many here are so full of themselves by making stupid remarks like I know my equipment and myself learned that years ago, I for one learn more and more every time I head for the hills. And when I quit learning I will be dead... or the choice one, that I might be lacking in shooting skills is again laughable.................
Not to worry Finn! Anybody that comes on a site with BS about getting more range practice when another says not to take head shots is full of baloney. It's just like you stated when you have no idea when the head will move and the bullet will do exactly as you stated. I just saw a photo of a cow elk a guy put up on another website a couple days ago and that cow's lower jaw was dangling down from a shot a guy took while he was watching from a distance. The cow ran off with the herd and will die a miserable death that the guy should suffer instead of her for doing that garbage! Head shots are unethical and I don't care if RR or anyone else can put every shot in one hole on the range!!! Then to hear him bragging about a 600+ yard head shot on another thread whether it was at a wounded animal or not is baloney when a body shot could be taken at a much bigger vital area. Cripes, the rifles I use on my hunts will all shoot one hole groups on the range if I do my part and I would never think of shooting at the head of an animal with them when it can move at any time. A pretty good shot I am, but I'm no clairvoyant and neither is any one else on this site to know when an animal might move its head and cause just what happened to that cow! People that try that garbage should have their license revoked and their gun stuck up where the sun don't shine!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-17-2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

To each their own. Please do not let this turn into yet another spitting match. I simply posted this tale of woe so that others can have a laugh at my expense.

I hit that darn cow just exactly where I wanted to, but just clipped the edge of a vertebra. Big mistake! It took nearly 24 hours between the first shot and starting the truck to go home.

Neck shots may a good idea for some fellows - but I will not go down that long, steep, painful road again.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by finnbear
I'm sorry my marksmanship doesn't seem to be top notch in your eyes...... head ans neck shots are easily missed and any here that say they don't miss in a hunting situation, is either a LIAR or at best delusional! Any one here that says they can consistently hit a target the size of a fist under hunting conditions, meaning most likely an off hand shot is full of it... there are just too many variables...lets say you are sighted in at 2 in. high at a hundred yds....do you really know exactly where your bullet is in relation to your line of sight at every foot of the distance to the target?? So many here are so full of themselves by making stupid remarks like I know my equipment and myself learned that years ago, I for one learn more and more every time I head for the hills. And when I quit learning I will be dead... or the choice one, that I might be lacking in shooting skills is again laughable.................
25 yards I'm zeroed. 100 yards I'm a little over 2" high. 50 yards I'm a hair over an inch.

I wouldn't take a head/neck shot on a big game animal unless it was from a rest with a known distance within 100 yards. I have head shot grouse with my 30-06 from a rest within 50 yards though.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Don't worry about shot placement just buy a 50 BMG. har har har
Old 12-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Streetdoctor
25 yards I'm zeroed. 100 yards I'm a little over 2" high. 50 yards I'm a hair over an inch.

I wouldn't take a head/neck shot on a big game animal unless it was from a rest with a known distance within 100 yards. I have head shot grouse with my 30-06 from a rest within 50 yards though.
As was stated already and obviously what you and others who would try it can't comprehend is that the HEAD moves and a target doesn't. I've got a .243 Sako that I've put 10 shots in the bull of a STILL target, but will not attempt a shot at ANY distance at a living animal for the exact reasons that Finn and I have stated. It's an absolutely stupid, irresponsible thing to try!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Topgun....I have the utmost confidence in my Sako 300 H&H but I would NEVER take a head or neck shot under hunting conditions!!! to many variables ...right up to that pesky old buck fever!!!! I have just saw way to many wounded animals.... I will say something here and I'm sure the old farts will agree ... there are so many carfull and ethical hunters out there that do just fine when it come to shooting a deer .....BUT put them on they first elk and all bets are off!!!!!!! 15 shots in 5 seconds when the elk have been gone for ten!!! I could go on ... I see it every year!!!!!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Big Uncle you posted your tale of woe as a public service announcement, and I and others took it to heart, for what it was and we were ridiculed for not being skilled or proficient enough!!! no problems with you sir!!! you only tried to enlighten....................
Old 12-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
I prefer the Neck shot. Rifle or bow.
You have got to me kidding me, LOL! With a bow? NO dang way Jose!!! That's even worse than the "get more range time" you made about Finn!!! Where did you get your hunting education, at a Holiday Inn Express one night?!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-17-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

only a lung shooter here

although it may happen. In 38 yrs aint never not recovered
Old 12-18-2014, 06:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Only have one thing to say; Take the shot you KNOW you can make, NEVER take the shot you THINK you can make !!!
I have to go with this too. I can't say I wouldn't take a neck shot if everything was ideal...but with that being said I've taken one neck shot in 29 years of hunting. Never lost an animal with a rifle, have lost elk with archery.

Now a neck shot with archery??? First time I've ever heard anyone say that...which really makes me think you're just having a little fun stirring the pot. I had a deer years ago that spun away when I released on a 47 yard shot and the arrow entered tight behind the shoulder and exited the neck, but I always target lungs with archery tackle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.