Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
If you were picking one season for elk.... >

If you were picking one season for elk....

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

If you were picking one season for elk....

Old 12-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default If you were picking one season for elk....

What would be your number one choice? We are looking at trying to get either a muzzleloader or 1st rifle. This is part of my research so prepare yourselves for more posts!
Old 12-15-2014, 04:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I was picking one season for elk and I really wanted an elk I'd be looking at the 4th season and hunting on winter range in the northwest corner of the state. But then, to me, elk hunting is about taking a nice fat cow for the freezer and not another set of elk horns.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:50 AM
Banned

same here. I like the late season(novemberish) cow, rifle hunts, here in idaho. when they are on thier winter range. fairly easy to draw and not so steep( actually mostly flat land hunting) so you can often drive right to your kill.

IF I WAS WANTING A BIG BULL,I would probably put in for a sept archery hunt
Old 12-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

I've always hunted second season and usually have good luck bagging both bulls or cows. The season is longer than first rifle and the weather is still decent most of the time. I guess its just a matter of personal preference.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is nothing IMHO that matches an archery elk hunt during the rut unless you don't hunt with archery equipment at all.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Bald Eagle. What is your goal? A trophy bull? An enjoyable hunt? Meat? Any old elk? This would help narrow down your options.
-Jake
Old 12-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Bald Eagle. What is your goal? A trophy bull? An enjoyable hunt? Meat? Any old elk? This would help narrow down your options.
-Jake

For me it would be just getting to hunt. I am leaning towrds muzzleloader because of the ambiance (don't laugh) and the chance to catch a portion of the rut.

If I got to shoot a huge bull that would be great but it is far from #1. I plan on getting an either sex tag as well as a deer tag. I do want to come back home with some meat. It's a long way from north Alabama to come home with tag soup! lol

Mostly I want the experience but I want to have the chance to be successful too. If I had more archery buddies that would be my choice.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
For me it would be just getting to hunt. I am leaning towrds muzzleloader because of the ambiance (don't laugh) and the chance to catch a portion of the rut.

If I got to shoot a huge bull that would be great but it is far from #1. I plan on getting an either sex tag as well as a deer tag. I do want to come back home with some meat. It's a long way from north Alabama to come home with tag soup! lol

Mostly I want the experience but I want to have the chance to be successful too. If I had more archery buddies that would be my choice.
In CO the muzzleloading season for elk will have either a bull or a cow tag. I'm pretty sure they don't have either sex any longer. It used to be that way but changed many years ago. If you want an either sex elk tag in CO you will have to hunt the first rifle season and, in most of the good elk units those tags take some preference points to draw.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:34 AM
Spike

My choice would be any kind of hunt during the rut. If you can catch the rut with a ML in your hands, that sounds ideal in your situation (avoiding tag soup hopefully). Archery is a blast, but I can't count how many situations I'd have had an ethical shot if I had a ML in my hands instead of a bow.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
In CO the muzzleloading season for elk will have either a bull or a cow tag. I'm pretty sure they don't have either sex any longer. It used to be that way but changed many years ago. If you want an either sex elk tag in CO you will have to hunt the first rifle season and, in most of the good elk units those tags take some preference points to draw.
Yeah...I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I was meaning I would be looking at rifle EE tags too. I'm still trying to figure it all out.

After going back and looking I found that I was on the recap page for the 295 page printout that I tried to go through. I found another site... diyhuntingmaps.com that breaks things down really well.

Thanks for the help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.