Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Colorado Muzzleloader tags.... >

Colorado Muzzleloader tags....

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Muzzleloader tags....

Old 12-13-2014, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default Colorado Muzzleloader tags....

What are the chances of getting drawn for units 76,77,78,80, or 81 on a muzzleloader hunt?

Do you guys see a lot of left over muzzleloader tags?

What about the White River units?

This stuff is pretty confusing for us Eastern folks. For an Alabama boy all we do is buy a license and hunt, lol.

Thanks folks.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you go to the CO Div of Wildife web site you can find all that info. They have a link to a preference point page that shows the number of points it takes to draw any specific unit. As to leftovers, sometimes there are a bunch and sometimes there isn't. It depends on what people do during the draw. I know this year there were some but if you want to hunt with a muzzleloader you can do that during the rifle seasons as well.

My suggestion is to spend some time on the web site and narrow it down. Saying the White River units is pretty vague since that covers a big area. ind of like asking what the hunting north of Mobile is like. Without being more specific nobody can give you much info. Besides you didn't even say if it is deer, elk or both that we're talking about here.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

What animal?
Old 12-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

So looking at elk.

I am going through all 295 pages of preference point info as we speak. How can you tell whether the Forest service land in a certain unit is accessible? I am looking at the Colorado hunting Atlas. What I see are large green chunks of forest service land. Then I read someone talk about lands being land locked by private land. How can you tell?
Old 12-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

For instance I am looking at Unit 82 for muzzleloader elk. There was a 44% chance of getting a drawn tag in 2013 with 0 points. Looks like a decent chance. But can I get to the forest service land?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

The DOW website has a link to an interactive hunting map. You can put in the unit you want and then use all sorts of filters to get info. It will show roads, campgrounds, public land, private land, rivers, streams, ponds etc... and you can zoom in to get good detail including vegetation You can also switch it from an aerial view to a topo map view and print it out.

By the way, if you are trying to dig through 295 pages of preference points, then you're not on the preference point link, you're on the hunting recaps. The actual preference point link is 4 or 5 pages for elk.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

For someone like you, it really is worth investing in hunters trailhead:

https://hunterstrailhead.isecuresite...&XID=1:0:0:0:0

For $25 you can research any unit in Colorado by points, hunters, success rates, trophy potential and public land access. You will be glad you did
Old 12-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
For someone like you, it really is worth investing in hunters trailhead:

https://hunterstrailhead.isecuresite...&XID=1:0:0:0:0

For $25 you can research any unit in Colorado by points, hunters, success rates, trophy potential and public land access. You will be glad you did

Thanks.

I'm trying to research as much as possible. Here are my concerns...
1) Applying for a unit that a guy with 0 points might have a decent chance getting

2) Finding a unit that is accessible and isn't land locked

3) Making sure that I don't apply to a unit that lacks the terrain for a September hunt.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
The DOW website has a link to an interactive hunting map. You can put in the unit you want and then use all sorts of filters to get info. It will show roads, campgrounds, public land, private land, rivers, streams, ponds etc... and you can zoom in to get good detail including vegetation You can also switch it from an aerial view to a topo map view and print it out.

By the way, if you are trying to dig through 295 pages of preference points, then you're not on the preference point link, you're on the hunting recaps. The actual preference point link is 4 or 5 pages for elk.

I'm sure that's what I'm on but I'm using it to see which units had the best chances for getting drawn with 0 points. It is interesting to study since they have several years of data there. You can see which units the resident hunters have started to move away from by looking at how many applications were submitted.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Edit that last one to say that I'm guessing I probably am on the recap data. Just making sure it didn't sound like I was doubting you...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.