Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Gun Question

Old 11-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Spike

Default Gun Question

Hello,

I have a very specific question about a rifle I would like to purchase. While I know people might tell me to ask it in the gun section. I feel it would be better answered here in the big game forum.

I live in Colorado, and plan to go elk hunting with my wife family in fall of 2015. We will be hunting above 10,000ft.

A friend of mine has a gun that I am interested in buying. The gun is a savage 111, .30-06. While I know the gun is sufficient, what I am concerned about is the scope.

It is a Leopold vari-x iii, 6.5x20x50. It has an adjustable ring to really get a clear focus on it. I know that it is a great scope, but the concern that someone brought up to me about it, is that it is too powerful, and if I have to shoot into the trees, that there won't be enough light to see the elk. Some people try to tell me that you will see your elk within 100yds, while others say the shots are usually 200-300. I know that it can be varying distances.

Is this a reasonable scope for hunting elk in the high mountains, or would I be better off with buying a new savage 111 with the nikon 3x9 scope?

I like the idea of being able to zoom in and really get up on the shot, but I don't want to hinder my ability if its too much scope to hunt up to a 300yd distance with.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is really no need for a 6.5x20 power scope for hunting if your maximum distance is going to be 300 yards even though the light gathering at shorte distances that you mentioned would be fine with that particular scope. A 3x9 like you mentioned is more than enough at high power to shoot 300 yards and the lower setting is a lot more ideal than 6.5 for close in shots. Unless you can get a great deal for the combination rifle/scope and take the scope off to put a lower power on it, I would pass and get another rifle that suits your fancy and put a 2x7 or 3x9 power scope on it.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 11-28-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one rifle that I have a fixed 6x scope on. That said, I like the availability of the lower number variables. You will probably mostly need more power for longer shots, but I don't know anyone who doesn't hunt timber at times. 6.5 is a little high for 30-50 yard shots. And that scope new is a $600 scope

So, I guess it depends on the price. If you get a good price on the combo, buy it and pull the scope off and sell it and buy a vari-X II 3 x 9 or 4 x 14 for 1/2 the price of the III.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

6.5 power is a little much in thick cover.

Otherwise, that's a great long range rig !

How does it "feel" to you - the gun, not the scope ?
Old 11-29-2014, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 6.5x20x50 on my bee. It is a little much on the close shots, but my shots tend to be long.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Buy the un without the scope and ask to have the prie reduced accordingly then buy a scope that would be better suited for your needs with the money you save.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

3x9 is all you really need for elk hunting.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
6.5 power is a little much in thick cover.

Otherwise, that's a great long range rig !

How does it "feel" to you - the gun, not the scope ?
The gun feels good. The last time I took it out shooting I ran about 30 rds, of 180gr ammo through it. I didn't have any problems with it at all. My shoulder felt great afterwards.

If the scope is too much, then I feel as if I am better off buying something new, or a nice used gun.

I really like the savage guns. Can anybody tell their opinion on the nikon 3x9 scope that is on the newer savage models. When I have looked through them, I feel like they are nice and clear, but I also recognize that looking through a scope in a well lit store will be quite a bit different than shooting in dark timber.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by dgz69er
The gun feels good. The last time I took it out shooting I ran about 30 rds, of 180gr ammo through it. I didn't have any problems with it at all. My shoulder felt great afterwards.

If the scope is too much, then I feel as if I am better off buying something new, or a nice used gun.

I really like the savage guns. Can anybody tell their opinion on the nikon 3x9 scope that is on the newer savage models. When I have looked through them, I feel like they are nice and clear, but I also recognize that looking through a scope in a well lit store will be quite a bit different than shooting in dark timber.
Normally, unless you don't plan to hunt much, the combination gun/scope deals aren't the way to go because the companies generally put a low end model scope on them so the package will sell at a decent price. Nikon makes good glass, but they also have low end models I wouldn't buy. IMHO you should be looking at a scope that costs at least $250 and probably more if you are going to be using it a lot. You get what you pay for it in scopes, binos, and spotting scopes, so look to buy good stuff once that you'll be happy with for many years to come. I have Leupolds on almost all my stuff and they were in the $300 range when I bought them some time ago.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

you are correct, its a great scope, the only problem being the 6.5 has a smaller field of view that say a 2.5 so a quick running shot at extreme close range would be harder to pull off, a lot of it is how much experience you have with higher powered scopes, I've shot the higher powers for years and don't have much problem with them but its all experience level.
other than that the scope is fine
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.