Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Gun Question

Old 11-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 3-9x40mm scopes on the savage 11 trophy hunter packages are the best quality scopes I've seen on a package gun. They are Buckmasters, which is a decent glass. I have several of them. They're discontinued for next year, so they won't be on future rifles, but it's the only one I would leave on a rifle package if I bought it.

Other package models from ruger and remington etc, maybe even the axis - can't say about it - but the others are all low end models that are it worth owning.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

I'd consider going with a 3x12, 4x12, or a 4x16 powered scope. This way you still have the low power capability like a 3x9 but still have the option of zooming into a higher power if you ever needed. I know from personal experience a 3x9 works fine for elk out to 300 yards but I've been happier with my 4x16.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

buy the gun if it's a good deal and put detachable scope rings on it and buy a lower power scope with detachable rings and use the scope you need for the situation your in i know it's a little pricey doing it that way but if you can why not ? i would buy leupold myself that's all i really buy for the money hard to beat and the warranty is hard to beat not sure on the nikon product's ?
Old 11-30-2014, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted elk all my life in Colorado above 10,000 ft, and never killed one over 100yds away. Most were much closer.

It all depends on how you plan to hunt. Most elk in Colorado are killed under 150yds. In rifle seasons they won't be hanging around in the open. They'll be in the timber.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by westernspeed
I'd consider going with a 3x12, 4x12, or a 4x16 powered scope. This way you still have the low power capability like a 3x9 but still have the option of zooming into a higher power if you ever needed. I know from personal experience a 3x9 works fine for elk out to 300 yards but I've been happier with my 4x16.
+1

That was my thinking also............I keep mine on 4X all the time, unless I need more !

Burris Signature Select 4X-16X 44MM Illuminated BDC reticle

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-30-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

The scope is probably worth about $500 new. You could always buy the package, sell the scope for $350, buy a scope you prefer with that $350 -- maybe adding in some of your own money. Since you are buying the package used, you ought to be getting a good discount off of new. If not, walk away from the deal.

You can hunt elk with that rig. It may not be ideal, but it will work. It really depends on the price you are getting. The size of the objective lens is less than idea in that scope, too. It is big. Maybe it hangs up on stuff more readily (I admit, small matter, but since were slicing hairs hear I thought I would mention it).
Old 12-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually if you are hunting above 10K ft. (op wrote), size/weight does matter.

Good point !!!

+1

I agree you can still hunt with that rig....................and if, it's a long poke; you will be glad to have it !!!