Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunt advice

Old 11-20-2014, 06:40 AM
Spike

Default Elk hunt advice

I am looking to take my dad on a elk hunt in 2015 and looking for advice or suggestions. It would be a party of 5-6 guys and we are all experienced hunters here in Texas. I am just in the very early stages of planning and have been looking at Montana but am wide open to suggestions. Ideally we would prefer to get our tags, show up, rent some horses and head out on our own. Not really wanting to have guides if possible and not crazy about having to draw for tags but have never hunted outside of Texas so not really sure what to expect. Anybody have any suggestions for me to get this ball rolling and suggestions for public hunting lands and outfitters? Thanks
Old 11-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

arizona if you can get drawn lots of good bulls and a ton of public land sure a lot closer than montana !!
Old 11-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Spike

The drive is not a HUGE issue. My concern is not having to cross my fingers and hope I get drawn for a tag or two and also a decent success rate. I have heard negative stories about elk hunts in places like Colorado and don't want to get in a situation like that.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Banned

Dont let other peoples unsuccessful hunting storie scare you away from Colorado. The closest public land in Colorado to you would be gmu 85 in the Cuchares area. Good hunting seen a couple nice bulls there this year opening weekend of archery. Next woild be the Sangres but its the toughest and steepest mtns in colorado. I know people who tag out every year. Hunt high and when you think your pretty high up there get even higher. True story my buddy and I in gmu 85 were chasing 2 nice bulls and jumped a couple sheep. Go that high. Where ever you choose good luck to you and you friends.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

if i were i would try for a arizona tag. i presume your looking for a rifle tag right ? if you want to put in for the draw i can help you pick a unit if you need the help.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
if i were i would try for a arizona tag. i presume your looking for a rifle tag right ? if you want to put in for the draw i can help you pick a unit if you need the help.
Hows the bear hunting down there by payson star valley area. I drive through there quite frequently and have always wondered. I know the fall tags are otc.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Spike

I've had pretty good success in Montana on the general tag, west of Yellowstone in the Beaverhead and further north and west around Lima Peaks. You can get a general deer/elk combo tag for a little under a thousand and hunt for about five weeks on archery and then about six weeks on the rifle. Some general elk areas are limited entry for deer and vice versa, so you might want to do elk only, depending on where you hunt.

The general elk tag in Wyoming also gives you a lot of good options, especially if you have horses, but that's tough to draw anymore and non-residents need a guide for wilderness areas. Wyoming elk application is in January and you get the results at the end of February, so you'll know before most of the other state deadlines.

Last edited by Withabow; 11-21-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're right. Colorado has no elk.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dan87bh
Hows the bear hunting down there by payson star valley area. I drive through there quite frequently and have always wondered. I know the fall tags are otc.
bear hunting is really good in that area i hunt bear pretty close to there up on the rim.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dan87bh
yes fall tags are otc and i really wanted to go this year but did not get the opportunity11

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.