Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
? on preference points-Big Game-CO >

? on preference points-Big Game-CO

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

? on preference points-Big Game-CO

Old 11-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Spike

Default ? on preference points-Big Game-CO

I was wondering if anyone could give me some details about big game preference points in CO. I'm an avid archery hunter and have recently done some Elk hunting with OTC tags, but want to do some hunting(rifle or bow) for elk and other big game (deer, sheep, bear, pronghorn). could anyone give me some info about how many preference points i'd need for any of those and if i could essentially get a tag for the 2015 season.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

You question can't be answered as written. If you want to know how many points it takes for a specific species and hunt, that info is readily available on the CO DOW website.

Preference points are given for specific species and specific hunts. Some hunts don't require any and some hunts can require over 20. It just depends. I've been saving up points to hunt unit 2 for a bull. I had 20 points this year and failed to draw. But that same 20 points would have got me a tag in any unit except 201.

Some deer, elk and pronghorn tags are pretty easy to draw. Sheep, goat and moose tags are always tough and you need a minimum of 3 points to even be in the running. That being said you odds of pulling a sheep, goat or moose tag with only 3 points are slim. I drew a sheep tag in 1986 and haven't been able to draw another one since. I drew a Mtn. goat tag in 2011 after 22 years of applying. I've yet to get a moose tag and I've been putting in every year since they started issuing tags.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty wide open question. Basically, you're asking us to do the research for you. That's part of hunting. You don't want us to do your hunt for you do you?

I suggest you study the brochure. Study the statistics, and hunt guides on the DOW web site. Then call the DOW, and talk to a hunt planner.

303 297-1192, and ask for a hunt planner. Don't talk to whoever answers the phone. Just ask for a hunt planner.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's amazing hw many people come on Forums and ask questions that can be easily answered by just logging onto the G&F website for the state in question and taking some time to read on their own like both Flags and Pete have stated here.