Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Honoring a decesed hunting partner and friend. >

Honoring a decesed hunting partner and friend.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Honoring a decesed hunting partner and friend.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:35 AM
Spike

Default Honoring a decesed hunting partner and friend.

Recently a dear friend and hunting partner passed away. He was left behind by his son and two grandsons. Every year we all meet in Montana for a week long whitetail hunt. This year his son and two grand sons will be hunting in his place. I would like to be able to give his son something in remembrance of the awesome man his father was. He was a great hunter, a marksmen, a strong Christian man with love for others. Do any of you have any suggestions of something I can do or have made that I can give his son?
Old 10-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

I would think that this would be something that only you could think of............Just the hunt and great stories might just do the trick!
Old 10-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a hunting buddy pass on several years ago, anyway one guy in our hunting circle made a custom hunting knife for his 10yr old boy, kind of in remembrance of his Dad.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Kenne...h-All+Products
or this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Kenne...h-All+Products
Old 10-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

Honor him by making it a yearly hunting tradition with all of them. Meet in your same camp.I'll bet you can come up with lots of hunting stories of times past.......
Old 10-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Spike

I think matching custom knives would be a great idea for that first year. Possibly with antler handles from one of your friend's deer sheds ( if he had some still around) to make it even more meaningful to the young men.

After that first year, just having the hunt will be a great way to honor him. And hopefully watch the boys put their knives to use over the next few years!
Old 10-21-2014, 03:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Name an annual hunt after him, call it a memorial hunt. I read a story in a waterowl magazine quite a while back. One of a group of the guys passed and before he did, he ask them to reload some shotgun shells containing a small amount of his ashes, then every year on the first hunt of the season, he ask the first shell they all fire at a duck contain his ashes, that way he would still be involved in doing his favorite thing with his favorite people. Kinda liked that, although it would be difficult in big game hunting.