Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

bear hunting

Old 09-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Spike

Default bear hunting

hello i am a 14 year old in Washington county and i got a bear permit in Maryland and would like to know any tips or hints or locations thank you
Old 09-05-2014, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you know anything about the area? How much hunting experience do you have? Is someone going with you? Have you ever hunted any sort of big game not to mention bear? Do you know how to dress and skin the bear and take care of the meat?

Nobody can give you any really valid advice until you give a lot more information. Mind you, nobody is going to tell you to go sit behind a certain bush and hunt there. Most are pretty protective of their honey holes. But if you pony up some info someone can probably point you into the right direction.

As for me, I've never hunted in MD for anything so I can't help.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

I know in the past for the maryland bear permits their were meetings where the dnr linked permit holders withstands that had problems with bears don't know if they still do this or not.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Spike

thanks i heard they dont do the meeting this year
Old 09-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

Then the best bet is to drive around to farms and just ask or call the dnr they might know of places to ask permission.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:53 AM
Spike

ok ill try that thank you
Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 PM
Spike

I also love hunting but I don't have much experience in this field and I think if you don't have much experience in field of hunting and area then you must not take any risk.Rest is your choice.Go and enjoy if you have experience and full knowledge of area.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by beginner hunter 2014
hello i am a 14 year old in Washington county and i got a bear permit in Maryland and would like to know any tips or hints or locations thank you
Once you find a place to hunt. You'll want to look the place over and look for bear sign. This generally means droppings, and the trails bears make. But also places where bears have torn up logs to find bugs. There is really no mistaking this when you see it. Here we hunt with either bait or run hounds. Another choice, like has been mentioned, is over looking crops, or natural food sources. Crop fields are nice because a bear will use the same path to access the field every time. This will make it easier for you to ambush him, or her.

When you find a place that looks promising locate a place to set your stand. I prefer a climber, as bears are curious, and are prone to climbing ladder stands whether your in them or not. (More fun than some people care for.)

Do not use the bears approach path as your access. Find another way in, and be mindful of scent, and never leave any bait or food near your stand. Your season is short I believe, so any screw up will most likely ruin your chances for a bear.

On stand keep still, don't smoke, and don't use your mobile phone or other device. As bears are generally silent when they move you'll need to keep your eyes open and stay alert for their presence. If you hear something circling behind you it may be a bear. Sit tight, and don't look around. It's checking you out, and if it feels you are trouble it will leave the area. If it's satisfied it's curiosity it may go on to the crop field or mast crop.

Look over pictures of bears, to try to get an idea on the sex, and size of what you are seeing. Watch for bears traveling together, as this would indicate a sow with cubs. Often the cubs will move ahead of the sow, and may be serious or playful. It's generally a crime to shoot a sow with cubs. To shoot a cub for most hunters, is a matter of shame.

https://arbear-v2.s3.amazonaws.com/u.../58/image1.png

Practice your shooting, and have fun!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

If the bear is circling you. It will know you're a human when it catches your scent. It will be gone at that point.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
If the bear is circling you. It will know you're a human when it catches your scent. It will be gone at that point.
Hi Pete, yeah they may take off. But that's not always the case. Often they'll circle and then continue on their way. Here that usually means a bait station.

ATB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.