Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Hunter Advice

Old 08-30-2014, 06:22 AM
Spike

Default New Hunter Advice

I just purchased an Savage 111 .270. I need to sight it in and pick the ammo I will be using for a Mule Deer doe hunt in Colorado. Any suggestions on the best factory load. 130-140-150. Premium load or not? Thanks so much for your advice.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Does are easy to kill. Save some money, and use 130gr Core-Lokts.

You don't need a premium bullet.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just responded to your post on the whitetail forum that asked the same question. look there for my answer.

By the way, the MODs kind of frown on multiple identical posts on different forums. May want to do a little re-phrasing to keep them happy.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Spike

I apologize. Rookie mistake. I removed my other post (I think...). Just not sure how all this works. Thanks for your guidance.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by tcepica
I apologize. Rookie mistake. I removed my other post (I think...). Just not sure how all this works. Thanks for your guidance.
Not a problem. Just trying to save you a little grief. I don't know if you read my post under the whitetail forum or not but I had good luck with factory Rem Core-Lokts when I had a .270. Mulie does aren't too hard to bring down. Shoot them and see if your rifle will group them. Most will but some won't and only by shooting them can you be sure.

Remember, no deer has ever been killed by hype or a ballistic table. It takes a bullet or arrow in the vitals to bring the animal to the table. Put any decent bullet in a does chest and you can get the skinning knife out.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by tcepica
Any suggestions on the best factory load. 130-140-150. Premium load or not? Thanks so much for your advice.
It's hard to say which load would be best. Every barrel shoots differently and likes a specific cartridge. Some may like multiple cartridges and others will only like one or two.

I suggest trying something to sight in with and seeing how well you group them or how easy it is to get them on paper. Keeping in mind how you are sighting in.

If using a bench rest, your shots should be consistent provided your not anticipating the shot which will deflect or throw your shot.

Like others have stated above me nothing has been killed by a ballistics chart. If you use these as a controlled point of reference only to begin your selection then fine tune by shooting something your still having to shoot and find the best load or cartridge. Save your time.

Premium loads are not always the best loads.

Case & Point:

I recently purchased a brand new Benelli M2 Slug Gun for white tails in Iowa's shotgun season. Mounted a Leupold Ultimate Slam 2-7x33MM scope on it and went out with Winchester Dual Bond Premium Slugs.

I got on paper shooting on a calm day from a bench rest and sprayed them all over the paper. To the tune of 8 Boxes cooling the barrel as much as possible between shoots. Yes this was an all day affair. Left frustrated but with the understanding this barrel obviously does not like that load.

Went out a second time, this time with 4 boxes each of Hornady SST's and Federal Trophy Copper Core. No adjustments made to the setup, (ie scope, bench rest, or distance) Immediately shot tighter groups with the SST's and with fine tuning of the scope I was stacking holes on paper at 100 yrds. Began shooting the Federals they performed just as well. Now I have confirmed that I now have two loads I can be confident with at 100 yrds and one I know that is not compatible with my setup.

One can not simply say "save your money and buy the cheap stuff" just as much as one can not say "Premium is the only way to go". The only true way to know is to try something until you find what works best for you and your setup.

After you find the one that groups the best then start looking at the slugs if you are able to retrieve them and then look for the best looking for what you want to do.

Last edited by cysroost; 08-31-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: correct typo's
Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nobody called the core-lokts the cheap stuff. It's a very good bullet that has worked for decades.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

I use the core lock in about 90 percent of my rifles from 223-338 win. I use the 150 in the 270 they shoot very close to the 130 in one of my 270. I like heave for caliber bullets shriveled as far as 300 yards with the 150 gr8 270 core lock
Old 08-31-2014, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Core-Lokts have been around awhile for a reason.

"The deadliest mushroom in the woods !"
Old 08-31-2014, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

My gunsmith is an old guy like me, and a good friend. He uses a .280 for elk, and gets one every year. He wouldn't use anything but core-lokts.

Shoot a reasonable distance, and use good shot placement, and the core-lokt won't let you down.

It's an added bonus that they don't cost much. Some hunters think that means they're a cheap bullet, but that's not true. It's an inexpensive bullet that works.