Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Update on our bear hunting issues.. >

Update on our bear hunting issues..

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Update on our bear hunting issues..

Old 09-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hear you bikerman9967...

Now this is where things are starting to get heated up.. Our senator SDusan Collins a Republican has excepted money from HSUS and is backing them up from what we know however she will not state what position she actually has.. Just the idea of her excepting money from the antis is enough to take her votes away from her..

Also HSUS is getting ready for a media blitz here in which by the time they are done will be around 3 million dollars in tv adds and the like.. That is dollars the sportsmen here do not have to compete against. Here is a link to the latest news on what they are gearing up for.. http://georgesoutdoornews.bangordail...ion-in-tv-ads/

We still believe we can beat them with grass roots organizing so we are working on that and will continue to do so.. One thing that is good is all dems running for office has our backs on this issue and will be backing us up on this battle.. So why is a republican going with HSUS is beyond us other than she is afraid of not getting enough votes to win.. But, that is where things are up here on this issue right now..
Old 09-03-2014, 01:33 AM
Fork Horn

Traitor . The liberals infect the weak with their disease
Old 09-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Spike

brooklyn divorce lawyer

Hey all,
I am glad to visit on this website..I never heard of HSUS before. So I just googled all the information on it. Many hunters prefer fair chase & not bait. So you may have a problem. At times, I have seriously thought of baiting deer, but I can't do it legally. So most seasons, I come home with tags. Thanks for sharing all that great information...
Old 09-04-2014, 01:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bears and deer are 2 different animals all together.. Most states allow food plots for whitetails as well. Food plots is actually a form of baiting.. While bear baiting is different it is also the only effective way of controlling bear populations. Unlike a lot of states Maine is heavily forested with very thick undergrowth that bears enjoy. Even with baiting our bear numbers continue to increase. Baiting has proved to be effective in selecting of bears which allow sows with cubs to survive so they can continue to bring the cubs up. It allows a better ethical shot placement as well meaning a quick kill. Unlike a chance meeting with bears offering a rapid fire shot without knowing whether there is cubs nearby or a wounded bear that will end up dying sometime down the road..It is also not just baiting that is under attack it is hunting with hounds and trapping of bears as well.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

bears in Maine are almost impossible to hunt without bait or hounds. they tend to roam and feed at night and don't have any particular pattern of life. deer live a very routine life and are predictable with scrapes and walking lanes through the woods. not hard to set up a stand on a deer run without using bait or food plots. setting up over bait for black bear is not a given bear. you need to be as still as stone, make no movements what so ever because they see everything. much more then deer IMO. also you have a great chance of seeing cubs or small bears which most hunters dont want to shoot.

i know many hunters who saw 5-10 bears on a week long bait hunt and came home empty handed. kind of like if you went on a monster whitetail hunt and all you saw was doe's and spikes.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here is a debate that took place last night with these clowns trying to ban our bear hunting practices.. They have no real facts to actually back themselves up. They are more trying to get to the compassionate side of things.. They are claiming on their web page up here that they were set up in this debate and are hollering foul.. LOL They want no more debates with this referendum now.. Here is a link for anyone interested..

http://wgme.com/news/features/top-st...l#.VAn7jcVdXS2

Here is another link to how our only legal snare type of bear trap works for anyone interested in this as well. The only other trap legal in Maine is a cage trap normally made from a decent size culvert..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJqi...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-05-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can't you guys in Maine call in bears?
Old 09-06-2014, 01:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

No Muley we do not have that part mastered yet.. I have seen them come out before on a moose call once and a while.. Just nothing you can rely on. I do know how to find them when I am out trout fishing though and mostly the worst ones to meet up with as well.. Those being sows with cubs and it is no fun being surprised when you meet up with them.. The old brook trout pole does not appear to be much of a weapon with a bear though..
Old 09-06-2014, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
No Muley we do not have that part mastered yet.. I have seen them come out before on a moose call once and a while.. Just nothing you can rely on. I do know how to find them when I am out trout fishing though and mostly the worst ones to meet up with as well.. Those being sows with cubs and it is no fun being surprised when you meet up with them.. The old brook trout pole does not appear to be much of a weapon with a bear though..
I always have some bear spray with me when i'm fly fishing the high mountain creeks. I've never needed it. Bears just take off when they see me.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

My last close call was this past summer when I was walking down a grassy road from an old cutting. On the end of it was some small birch trees and then a small opening just before an old skidder road. We never saw each other until the sow started snapping it's jaws and making some funny sounds I looked to my right and saw her and 2 cubs heading up a tree. The sow was around 15 feet of me and scared the crap out of me. I hollered and it did no good.. I decided to try to sound like an old hound and with that she jumped back around another 15 feet. Then I slowly backed my way out of there to get more ground between us. It was not a very friendly encounter at all. I was some glad she let me back away from her.. I then waited a little while to give her and the cubs a chance to get away from me and continued on making sure to make some loud sounds of my own all the way in there..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-06-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.