Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
blaze orange ghillie suit? >

blaze orange ghillie suit?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

blaze orange ghillie suit?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Okay thanks - but to me body movement at the wrong time, being caught silhouetted, and /or scent control keeping in mind wind direction would be far more critical.

You are just a different shade of gray to deer.

I have had far too many deer not even know I am there only feet away from them in total 100% blaze orange.

Was just curious - luck to you.

JW
Old 07-29-2014, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

100% blaze orange? That can't be a good look JW?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thank God that MI and WY where I do almost all my big game hunting and ND where I pheasant hunt only require an orange hat! I would hate to think about having to wear all the orange that CO and some other states require. The reason CA probably doesn't require any is that the antis figure that we'll shoot each other and they'll get rid of a few of the hunters each season, LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-29-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't mind wearing the vest to here. I'd rather do that than get shot.

What I can't figure out is why bow hunters don't have to wear any orange? The DOW will tell you that the critters can't see orange. I agree. So, why can't bow hunters wear it?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
100% blaze orange? That can't be a good look JW?
I still shoot deer......rather be seen by other hunters than not. I hunt a lot of public.

And as I said - movement at the wrong time and sitting with the wrong wind direction.....

JW
Old 07-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't mind wearing the vest to here. I'd rather do that than get shot.

What I can't figure out is why bow hunters don't have to wear any orange? The DOW will tell you that the critters can't see orange. I agree. So, why can't bow hunters wear it?
I think it's because hunting with a bow is a very close range proposition and they figure it's a lot easier for people to see what the object is. Back here in the east most of the bow hunting is also done up in treestands for whitetails, so the safety factor is more for the person to get up and down without falling and doing major damage to themselves, rather than shooting somebody.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't see the point? There's muzzy and rifle hunters hunting at the same time.

What does close have to do with it. The other hunters aren't close, and could mistake a bow hunter sneaking around. Then when they get a kill they haul out the antlers on their back while in full camo.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't see the point? There's muzzy and rifle hunters hunting at the same time.

What does close have to do with it. The other hunters aren't close, and could mistake a bow hunter sneaking around. Then when they get a kill they haul out the antlers on their back while in full camo.
If that's the case and there are gun hunters out at the same time, I would agree 100% with you that it sounds pretty goofy!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, the muzzy season is right in the middle of the bow season. You also have bear hunting for the whole month the same as bow season. It's a rifle hunt. Then you have some deer above timber rifle hunts the same time as bow season.

So, plenty of gun hunters are mixed in with bow hunters.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I have had deer and elk walk right by me at less than 10 yards with a solid blaze orange vest and hat on. But it is the solid color not broken up by anything that gets their attention if you move just a little. Without a pattern to break up your outline they can zone in on you when you move just slightly. So a solid orange ghillie suit that has shadows and flutters like a bush might hide some movement and gain you some seconds.

And like Muley said, he and I will be hunting in mid September with a muzzleloader in our blaze orange vests/hats, while bowhunters are hunting at the same time in full camo. So the bowhunters shouldn't shoot us, but not so sure about the opposite....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.