Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Preference Points

Old 07-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Default Wyoming Preference Points

My dad and I would like to hunt Antelope *hopefully* next fall in Wyoming. We'd like an area with good public land access and plenty of antelope. I'm looking for some clarification on the Preference Point System. If I buy us both preference points this season, would I have a good chance of getting drawn to a decent unit for next fall? I'm reading online but it's slightly confusing! If anyone knows, help out!
-Jake
Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Also, can we buy preference points as a party? Or do each of us have to apply separately?
-Jake
Old 07-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I was you I'd PM TopGun30-06. He hunts WY as a non-resident every year and knows the system they have in place really well.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

One point is a whole lot better than none. Go to the following link and buy your individual point for $30:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/elso/elsowelcome.aspx

Whenever you go you will be able to apply for your licenses as a group.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

A PP must be purchased by the individual applicant and you have to set up individaul accounts on the G&F website to do that. Next year you will definitely have a better chance with one PP than none. However, a lot of the decent units that previously could be hunted with a 100% chance of drawing with 1PP now require 2 or even 3. The main reason is because of big tag cuts this year due to decreasing number of animals in areas where precipitation has been minimal and/or the winter a couple of years ago caused large mortality figures that haven't been replaced yet through fawn recruitment. The resulting decrease in tags has translated into a longer wait for people to get drawn. If you apply as a party, Wyoming adds all the PPs the party has and gives the party an average (no rounding up or down) and one random number for the draw. Everyone is in the PP draw first and if not drawn get a second chance in the random drawing where PPs are not used. Thus, it doesn't increase your chance of drawing by going the party route. What it does is allows the party to all either draw a tag or nobody gets one to eliminate the chance of some drawing and some not if they applied separately. Just a fraction of a PP can make a difference in whether you draw a tag or not. If your party would have an average of 1.5, for example, the tags may be gone before it gets to that draw pool since those with anything above that number would get a tag first. If you have any other questions on Wyoming just send me a PM, as I've been hunting out there most years since 1992 and can answer most of them or know where to find the answer.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-13-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the replies guys. TG I'm gonna get my group together to buy some Points. And I'm sure I'll be PMing you with questions in the future.
-Jake
Old 07-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Thanks for the replies guys. TG I'm gonna get my group together to buy some Points. And I'm sure I'll be PMing you with questions in the future.
-Jake
No problem! Fire away and I'll help as much as I can!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

I've been doing a lot of reading on they Wyoming website and various other sites today about units and public land and such. Allot of public land, but allot of it seems difficult to access.
-Jake

Website for anyone else interested. it gave some good overview information.
http://www.n4thehunt.com/2013/01/27/...ing-a-license/

Last edited by Bocajnala; 07-14-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I've been doing a lot of reading on they Wyoming website and various other sites today about units and public land and such. Allot of public land, but allot of it seems difficult to access.
-Jake

Website for anyone else interested. it gave some good overview information.
http://www.n4thehunt.com/2013/01/27/...ing-a-license/
While it is correct that large amounts of BLM land are locked up by private land, there is still good public land that is accessible. The walk-in areas are OK also, but not ideal for everyone.

On most BLM land with good public access you will not be alone unless you have drawn a tag in one of the better units. It is a big pain to stalk a herd and have the hunt ruined by some yahoo with a truck or ATV, or by some "sniper" trying to get lucky at 800 yards in a strong wind. Some of the better units (Red Desert, etc.) take a bunch of points to draw. With one point you can probably get a unit 26 or similar tag.

Don't get discouraged by the access issues or other hunters. There is still plenty of land and enough antelope. I have had public land hunts that were a really great experience, and shot some pretty good public land antelope.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

I'm open to more unit suggestions from anyone with experience. Starting from scratch here so a unit suggestion gives me a good place to start looking. I'll look into some unit 26 maps thanks! Walking is no problem. I have a decent amount of backpacking/ hiking/ backcountry experience and we're not afraid to put miles in.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.