Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Preference Points

Old 07-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of the walk-in areas are lightly hunted. I don't think too many guys want to get more than 1/4 mile from their truck (lots of them don't want to get 50 yards from their truck!). It is common to drive around and spot pronghorns from the vehicle and then stalk them if they within fairly easy walking distance.

Check out the rules for walk-in areas (usually no camping, etc.). The following link will give you maps by county:
http://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/fr...ntingHome.aspx

When you buy your point you will get a Sportsman ID number. You don't need to choose units when you buy the point. When you apply for the actual license you can put a group together, pick a unit, and apply as a group.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

btw even yellow/white units according to eastmans' system can be legally accessed and hunted even though it's very limited.

but do your research and find a unit ideally with some chunks of public blocked together vs. all checkerboard.

also part of the hunt is getting out there and having a look around, so don't stress if on the drive out to WY you aren't exactly sure where you'll be hunting etc..., have some spots circled, if one doesn't have access, check out your other spots.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by salukipv1
btw even yellow/white units according to eastmans' system can be legally accessed and hunted even though it's very limited.
but do your research and find a unit ideally with some chunks of public blocked together vs. all checkerboard.

also part of the hunt is getting out there and having a look around, so don't stress if on the drive out to WY you aren't exactly sure where you'll be hunting etc..., have some spots circled, if one doesn't have access, check out your other spots.
The colors you're talking about in the Eastman's MRS section strictly stands for ones that they don't consider decent units to hunt as far as quality or quantity and has nothing to do with the legal access to public lands within them.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The colors you're talking about in the Eastman's MRS section strictly stands for ones that they don't consider decent units to hunt as far as quality or quantity and has nothing to do with the legal access to public lands within them.
perhaps you should re-read your eastmans'

a unit could be good/great but access is terrible and therefore yellow/white.

none the less, my point was that even units with very "limited" access, can still be hunted successfully.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by salukipv1
perhaps you should re-read your eastmans'

a unit could be good/great but access is terrible and therefore yellow/white.
none the less, my point was that even units with very "limited" access, can still be hunted successfully.
Excuse me, but I strongly suggest that you're the one that needs to read the Eastmans MRS closer. If you'll look closer at the charts, it specifically shows a header as "Potential" or "Trophy Quality" and that blue stands for excellent trophy quality, green for good, yellow for fair, and white for poor. The colors have absolutely nothing to do with access issues that are shown separately in a column to the far right in the tables under the heading "Public Access"! An example is the unit I hunt in. It is colored yellow in the MRS because they don't consider it to have good quality or quantity even though over 75% is legally accessible public land. Incidentally, I've drawn three buck tags I've applied for there and killed three bucks between 75" and 80". There are goats like that in every unit if you have the time and energy to look for them and know how to hunt them. Yes, I agree that if you do your homework that you can kill a goat even in areas that don't have a lot of legally accessible public land, but you'll need good maps and a GPS with a landownership chip or download to avoid trespassing. Here's the last two I shot in 2009 and 2012. The shoulder mount was 76" and the other was right at 80" before the 60 day drying period was up.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:27 PM.