Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Which muzzle break for my Weatherby S2 308? >

Which muzzle break for my Weatherby S2 308?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Which muzzle break for my Weatherby S2 308?

Old 06-29-2014, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice rifle and I see you shoot from the wrong side, LOL!
Old 06-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, I lost the sight in my right eye, and had to learn to shoot lefty.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Yeah, I lost the sight in my right eye, and had to learn to shoot lefty.
Bummer and sorry to hear that! I have a number of major problems with my eyes to the point where some day I may have to have corneal transplants if my vision keeps going downhill. It has sort of leveled off the last few years and can still be corrected with strong lenses. In fact, I'm waiting for my new glasses to come in any day now. Without them I'm pretty much real close to being legally blind as far as driving, etc. It's a witch when I'm out hunting with my Wyoming buddy who will be 54 on Tuesday, as he can pick out and see animals so well without glasses and it takes me binoculars many times to make out what he's looking at.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Getting old is not that fun. On a positive note. I have lots of time to do what I want.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Getting old is not that fun. On a positive note. I have lots of time to do what I want.
Same here! Way too much time except in the Fall!
Old 06-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

I have KDF muzzle brakes on my 300 Weatherby and on my .375 RUM. I also installed recoil reducers in the stocks of each of these rifles, and they both have Limbsaver recoil pads. Recoil is not an issue now with either of these rifles. I have shot several animals with each of these rifles from prone positions without any problems.

A muzzle brake like the KDF will cut about 40% if the rifles recoil. MagnaPort advertises that their ports will reduce recoil by 15%.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Spike

Thank you for all the feedback. I got all the recommendations and what I plan to do is put the rifle and scope package together and hit the range with some light weight rounds and see how it goes.

The next step, if required would be to give the VAIS a go.

Thanks again for all the insight, experience, & advice!

elkshane
Old 06-30-2014, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Flags posted about Mag Na Porting.
I also recommend it. My 300 Winchester Mag is Mag Na Ported, recoil about the same as my 243 in the same Remington 700 configuration.

I have varmint hunting friends who like to watch the varmint thru there scopes during the shot and after the shot. Two have Mag Na Porting on a 223 and a 22 250. Another has a brake on his 222 mag and no one wants to be any where near him do to the back blast when he shoots.
With Mag Na Porting the blast goes at right angle to the side of the barrel and not back at the shooter.

I live a couple hours from the company and drove my rifle right to their front door. It was finished the second day for pick up.

http://magnaport.com/ http://magnaport.com/rifle.html

I recommend the use of ear protection any time you shoot. There are some nice protectors for use when hunting.

Al
Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

The design of the Vais brake doesn't do that, and it way more effective than magna porting. I've done both. One of the problems with magna porting is it's permanent. You can't take it off.

The Vais brake can be unscrewed when you don't want to use it. I used to test it all the time. I'd shoot with it, and without it to see the difference. The only difference i'd see with it on was less muzzle jump and felt recoil overall. I noticed no muzzle blast at all, and no noise increase either. If it was a bit louder it wasn't noticeable with hearing protection. My gunsmith had told me he never noticed more noise on his .280, and I probably wouldn't either on the .270. He was right. I'm sure this doesn't apply for the big magnums, for the smaller cartridges it seems too. I'll be surprised if noise increase will be noticed on the .308.

Muzzle brakes get a bad rap from all the poor designs available. Even the ones that come factory installed. Give the Vais a try, and you'll be surprised how well it works.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Spike

Default thank you for all the feedback and photos

All the feedback is appreciated ... My current plan is to first mount the scope and shoot without the muzzle brake to see how it is. If not okay I will try the VAIS brake.

thanks again,
elskshane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.