Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
self guided hunt in montana >

self guided hunt in montana

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

self guided hunt in montana

Old 04-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Spike

Default self guided hunt in montana

Wanting to do self guided hunt back pack in,wandering about a good area to do such a hunt mule deer with a good success rate thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

Have you considered one of those sections of the Missouri River where you float in to a pretty much roadless area, camp on the river bank, and hunt from there?
I've not done it but they take some big ones out of those areas and it's on my list.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds kind of like one of those Alaska hunts and a lot of fun.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

When i lived in Montana, we spent quite a lot of time on the river fishing Walleye. It seemed we should see deer all up and down the river, however we didn't. As beautiful as the wild and scenic river is, i myself, wouldn't think it would be good hunting for decent Muley bucks. It sure was excellent fishing for huge Walleye. It is very very inaccessible by road, and it sure seems like deer hunting should be great. It very well may be the deer were up away from the river, grazing spring wheat fields, when we were there. What i remember the most, is how few deer there were in a very very inaccessible area. To be perfectly clear, i was never on the river during hunting season, so what do i know?

One year, many ago, i happened upon a gigantic Muley near White Sulphur, Gosh it was huge. Never saw another like it in 25 seasons.

If the tags are the same now, as they were then, it is already too late to put in for this upcoming season. If the tags are the same now as they were then, i would put in for area 700, which is all of Eastern Montana, and allow for a very long time hunting.

Well, i sure enjoyed running up and down the wild and scenic Missouri, in my jet boat, but if things are the same now, as they were back then, i wouldn't consider deer hunting from a boat. Keep in mind, i haven't had my boat on the river for about 10 year. During the summer, boats can only go down river. During hunting season, boats can go up and/or down.

Bighorn Sheep hunting should be good from a boat, but it may not be possible for a non-resident to get a tag. Never did i put in for a tag, but i sure saw many many trophy rams.