Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Archery Elk Hunt

Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 AM
Spike

Default Archery Elk Hunt

I am going to be going to Wyoming in September to scout some areas and then next year I plan to actually go elk hunting with a bow. There are a number of areas I am interested in but most of them are going to take a while for me to get enough preference points. I am going to apply for a preference point this summer in hopes that I can at least get a general tag next year. I am thinking about hunting the Medicine Bow to mostly because I have a friend that has a cabin out there and I was looking for some feedback on the units I was considering. I have been looking at Unit 15 and 21 in the Sierra Madre and then Unit 11 and 12 ( I realize 11 is not a general license unit) in the Snowy Mtn range. I am also considering 9. 10 and 110. Any input or advice for a first timer in Wyoming wold be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:59 AM
Spike

You can apply 2nd choice for a cow tag in some good units in Wyoming and get it with no PP and apply for your primiary tag for Bull Archery first choice. I was looking into doing this in a unit that took several years to draw a rifle bull tag but I could draw a cow as 2nd choice 80-90% of the time. That way you really get to learn the unit and once you obtain your bull tag you already have the unit figured out. Now you are looking to archery hunt but its just an Idea. I have not personally hunted Elk in Wyoming yet but I've built points still about 3 shy to draw the unit I want. One thing to consider is if you are a NR you cannot hunt a wilderness without a resident with you. Also in areas where wolves and grizz are present Elk tend to be in larger herds for safety making locating them slightly harder.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Spike

You must go for it because you will surly enjoy there. You have to follow hunting tips and team work for hunting. The best option is to take help of expert.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

MedBow/Snowy Range is where most of us go when we don't draw our limited-quota tag for the year. Access is generally pretty easy, which translates to "don't be surprised if you run into other hunters".

Weather during archery is generally pretty good, it's the rifle hunters that get snowed in. Nonetheless, if you're hunting in later September, you need to be prepared. Weather will affect the elk, too - you might be in the middle of hundreds of them one day and find yourself alone the next with a storm blowing in. As well, the pine beetle has wreaked havoc on the forest, be careful selecting your campsite and parking your truck. Lots of trees tipping over now there were killed over the past couple of years. I never go up there anymore without a chainsaw.

It's beautiful country, but there's a lot of it to cover. I haven't hunted up there for the past seven years, so I'm not a very good resource in terms of the best places to start. I've never hunted the Sierra Madres, but I know quite a few people who do and prefer it over the Snowy Range. I think access may be more difficult and less hunting pressure as a result.

Definitely worth a scouting trip.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:44 PM
fzo
Fork Horn

nice have fun there