Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Roosevelt Elk or Rocky Mountain >

Roosevelt Elk or Rocky Mountain

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Roosevelt Elk or Rocky Mountain

Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Spike

Default Roosevelt Elk or Rocky Mountain

As a Washington resident I have been hunting for Elk for 33+ years, I began hunting the "Cascade Roosevelt" (east of I-5 and west of PC Trail) due to seasonal closures I switched to hunting Rocky Mountain Elk in eastern Washington for 20 years. Due to herd reductions and spike only regs (unless drawn for special permit) I came back to hunting western Washington, but to avoid hunter numbers, I now hunt coastal Washington for "True Roosevelt"
It seems like almost everything I can read about Elk hunting ignores these elusive phantoms of the rainforest.
I know that their range is limited, and their antlers are smaller (relative) but an elk is after all, an elk.
Do you feel that the lack of attention they receive is due to limited range, or is it their smaller antlers?

What are your thoughts about the difference between RM elk and Roosevelt?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think most probably just don't know or know very little, and most guys especially east of say Colorado just want to hunt an "elk" someday and a guy from NY etc... is more likely to hit CO for his 1st elk hunt than go to WA for a Roosevelt specific etc...

I hope to get one, a Roosevelt one of these years, hopefully in the next decade...
Old 10-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish we had the option to hunt Roosevelt elk.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Stiknstring
...Do you feel that the lack of attention they receive is due to limited range, or is it their smaller antlers?

What are your thoughts about the difference between RM elk and Roosevelt?
I feel that the lack of attention for Roosevelt elk is definitely due to their limited range and limited numbers. From what I understand, Roosevelt elk are only found in west slopes of Washington and Oregon, Alaska's Afognak Is., and the west coast of British Columbia. Rocky Mountain elk are found in every western state, several Canadian Provinces, and have been transplanted into a number of Midwest and eastern states.

I can't remember the exact numbers, but I would guess that hunters in Colorado alone kill more Rocky Mountain elk every year than the total existing number of Roosevelt elk.

Yes, Roosevelt elk don't normally grow as large antlers as Rocky Mountain elk, but there are some very impressive Roosevelt elk antlers. I also understand that Roosevelt elk grow to a larger body size than their Rocky Mountain cousins.

Given the opportunity, I also would love to hunt them.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

Isn't Washington a relatively difficult state for a non-resident to pull a tag in? (I think I've heard this, don't know if it's true) If so, that could have a lot to do with the lack of national attention.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with what buffybr said about limited range and #'s. I've had both and you get a lot more meat with a Roosevelt. I haven't hunted WA state yet but have hunted in Oregon. A lot of the hunting areas are harder to get draw areas but the area we hunted had a whole boatload of spike tags. I think we drew a spike tag almost every year we applied.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Murdy
Isn't Washington a relatively difficult state for a non-resident to pull a tag in? (I think I've heard this, don't know if it's true) If so, that could have a lot to do with the lack of national attention.
Actually, Washington has unlimited OTC tags, not sure about Oregon.
With non-res tags going for $497 for just an Elk tag, and the relative difficulty in locating herds due to their non-migratory nature and the density of the habitat. I can see why there is not many visitors to Washington.
However, this last season, Matt Brody came out from Wisconsin and harvested a decent bull on his second trip out to Washington with a longbow he made himself. Proving it can be done,
And yes, the body size of a "mature" Roosevelt can be close to 1000 lbs, but due to the average age of bulls harvested being 2-3 years, not really a noticeable difference.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

"Actually, Washington has unlimited OTC tags, not sure about Oregon.
With non-res tags going for $497 for just an Elk tag, and the relative difficulty in locating herds due to their non-migratory nature and the density of the habitat. I can see why there is not many visitors to Washington."

Thanks for clearing that up. Not sure where I got that impression.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Spike

Probably because the best unit (for Roosevelt) is draw only, with tags very limited (also, these are "Cascade Roosevelt" west of Pac.Crest trail, and east of I-5). or other special permits that give timing of the rut, or other "advantages" to permit holders in combination with a general tag, in areas adjacent to the Olympic National Park.
The WDFW manages game numbers by offering general season hunts with lower chance of success, and special permits for longer seasons or better dates, restricted areas etc..
permits average an 80% success rate, while "general" season is closer to 10%...

But this is a statewide deal, not just Roosevelt.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I wish we had the option to hunt Roosevelt elk.
You do. All you have to do is go where they live. if you want a Roosevelt, you need to go to the Pacific North West. Exercising options requires some effort on your part. Like all states, they sell non-resident tags. May take a year or 2 to get one, but you'll never get one if you don't try.

The thing about hunting is you have to go where the animals live. If you only hunt one place, you limit the game you can experience. I've never hunted Roosevelt Elk, but I will some day. There are other things higher on my list right now. When I was stationed in CA, I put in for a Tule Elk permit every year. I never drew it, but I tried.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.