logo
 

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Spike
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Default .50 muzzleloader usage on big game

If it was all you had,what do you think is the best bullet/load in a .50 caliber for heavy dangerous game in North America like grizzlies? Taking all things into consideration.
blkpowder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,135
Default

I'd use a hard cast bullet to make sure of penetration. Harvester sells good ones that take down cape buffalo. A grizz should be easy.
__________________
Pete

Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid......John Wayne
Muley Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Buffalo, WY
Posts: 983
Default

If you have the cash to make a hunt for Griz in North America you have the cash for a rifle equal to the task.

I know you question was hypothetical but let's be real.
Bullcamp82834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Spike
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muley Hunter View Post
I'd use a hard cast bullet to make sure of penetration. Harvester sells good ones that take down cape buffalo. A grizz should be easy.
OK got you.my screen wasnt refreshed. thanks! i actually like that answer compared to some ppl saying to "get in my car and leave".If that was an option i wouldnt be in the woods.

thanks for your input,i appreciate it. you think a heart/lung shot or go for the CNS?
blkpowder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,135
Default

It will probably run from you when shot. I would go more for a killing shot than a CNS shot.

These are the bullets i'm thinking of.

http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.co...chk=1&Itemid=3
__________________
Pete

Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid......John Wayne
Muley Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
Spike
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muley Hunter View Post
It will probably run from you when shot. I would go more for a killing shot than a CNS shot.

These are the bullets i'm thinking of.

http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.co...chk=1&Itemid=3
thanks, i checked them out.i have some Harvester Scorpions already. they look like a good choice.
blkpowder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Spike
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834 View Post
If you have the cash to make a hunt for Griz in North America you have the cash for a rifle equal to the task.

I know you question was hypothetical but let's be real.
ha,is that supposed to be a rhetorical statement?Being real would be taking a repeater and a buddy.But being real is on another thread.thanks for taking the time though.

i didnt say i did or didnt have a rifle that would kill a grizzly.It doesnt take much cash to get a rifle that will kill grizz.I think its generally accepted that a 9.3x62Mauser or .375H&H is the beginning of a dangerous game caliber and ive heard plenty of stories of grizzlies killed with less.Those can be less than 1k,and if you happen to live or have friends in grizzly country, its not much more than the cost of the rifle.

But this question was not about finance,but about survival and killing a bear with a muzzleloader.Meaning if you were deer/elk hunting with a .50 caliber muzzleloader,and threatened by a grizzly,what bullet would best dispatch the threat.
blkpowder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Fork Horn
 
buffybr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkpowder50 View Post
But this question was ... if you were deer/elk hunting with a .50 caliber muzzleloader,and threatened by a grizzly,what bullet would best dispatch the threat.
If you're not hunting them, but are worried about grizzlies, carry a can of bear spray. Keep it handy, and know how to use it.

With a muzzleloader, you may have time for one shot, and if the bear is actually threatening you, that shot may not be accurately placed. A muzzleloader bullet suitable for elk would also be suitable for a grizzly.

I have lived, worked, and hunted in grizzly country since 1975. I'll occasionally carry a pistol, but I'm not really worried about bears. Most of the bears, black and grizz, that I've encountered have ran away as soon as they saw or winded me.
__________________
NRA Life Member
buffybr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
Spike
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffybr View Post
If you're not hunting them, but are worried about grizzlies, carry a can of bear spray. Keep it handy, and know how to use it.

With a muzzleloader, you may have time for one shot, and if the bear is actually threatening you, that shot may not be accurately placed. A muzzleloader bullet suitable for elk would also be suitable for a grizzly.

I have lived, worked, and hunted in grizzly country since 1975. I'll occasionally carry a pistol, but I'm not really worried about bears. Most of the bears, black and grizz, that I've encountered have ran away as soon as they saw or winded me.
thank you for your advice, i appreciate it.if thats you with the nyati then you must know your stuff. i can use sprays proficiently,so thatll be no problem. id use a Harvester scorpion 300 grainer pointed bullet w/150 grns bp for elk.

Last edited by blkpowder50; 09-12-2013 at 06:56 AM.
blkpowder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,135
Default

It's your life. Good luck.
__________________
Pete

Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid......John Wayne
Muley Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:39 PM.