Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Shooting Tips

Old 09-23-2003, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default Shooting Tips

I know that there are alot of talented shooters on this forum so I wanted to pick your brains. I' ve developed a flinch when shooting at the range or shooting at targets with my shooting stix. Looking back on it now, it may date back to a hunting excursion when I took a scope around the eyebrow and had a nice gash in the head. Since then, I' ve tried to relax and squeeze the trigger but I still end up pulling and closing my eyes as the gun fires. I haven' t noticed it being as much of an issue when shooting at deer/elk in a hunting situation and it only seems to happen at the range. Obviously I need to be able to confirm the accuracy of my rifle and to improve on my shooting. Any suggestions on how to overcome this???

" The half moon headcase"
Old 09-23-2003, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting Tips

Iron,
I know the feeling,a few years a go I took a 300 Ultra Mag right between the eyes,I have a nice scar,bled like a stuck hog.

I also got a flinch after it,I had a fellow recomend taking a 22 and put a few bricks through it,as I did.The next step I had to take a buddy,have him load the rifle.Sometimes he would put rounds in it and sometimes not,after awhile I started not thinking about it and started focusing on my breathing and crosshairs.

Hope this helps BBJ
Old 09-23-2003, 09:39 PM
Spike

I took one in the forehead a couple of years ago. I solved it by getting rid of the rifle. I didnt like it any way. I started shooting a smaller rifle for a while, and just got used to it not kicking. after that i could shoot like i did before the scope to the forehead. It didnt leave a gash, but put a pretty big pop knot on my head.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

BBJ has some good words of advice on the flinch. Get a buddy to hand you the rifle at the bench, sometimes loaded, sometimes not. Squeeze it off each time as if you had the biggest Buck you ever saw in front of you.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:58 AM

Actually, the problem is that you know when the rifle is about to go off, and the flinch is involuntary.

I was always taught that you slap the trigger on a shotgun, and you slowly squeeze the trigger on a rifle. Everyone I' ve seen who flinches has always pulled the trigger fast. Slowly squeeze the trigger, and since you basically know when the trigger trips on your gun, concentrate on becoming very steady and on target just before it trips. You will not know exactly when it will fire, so you won' t flinch. Hope this helps and good luck this season!

Mark
http://www.buckhuntersecrets.com